Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to remodel the dash in my 99XJ so that I can actually use the space for items such as gps, police scanner, etc. Does anyone know of a good material to use? Right now I'm thinking of sturdy plastic shelving with some brackets to anchor to the original dashboards screw holes. Also I want to get something overhead for storage. Saw a couple shelves for older Cherokees but nothing for 99.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I would use thin aluminum sheet metal painted black. Easy to bend and fab stuff with. I built a switch box out of it in my old tj and mounted it where the radio goes. It looked pretty darn good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not planning on replacing the gauges now, mainly just wanting to level out the surface so I can use it. The stock plastic is rounded, and textured so nothing can stick to it and there is not enough room between it and the glass without being in my line of sight too much. I use my Jeep sort of as a mobile office, (Photography mostly) and also want to set up a video camera to shoot out over the hood that will be taking road trip vids and be low profile.

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
cool.

·
Premium Member
9,291 Posts
Go with the aluminum, pop rivet it together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts