Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

How do you feel about daylight savings time?

• I love it

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I hate it

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I live in an area without DST

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It doesn't bother me

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ew. It's that time again. What do you think of DST? Personally I hate it.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Doesn't bother me...However, studies have shown that the rate of heart attacks and motor vehicle accidents increase substantially in the few days following the time change. So maybe that's a good reason to abolish it? I don't think it really does much to save power as George Dubya claimed in a speech a year or two ago..?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I wish we would keep this time and just leave it alone.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Gives me an extra hour to see how to do stuff outside. I think it is great. My alarmclock still goes off at 6:30 and starts licking my face(cats). But now I can spend an extra hour wrenching or buildin' or fixin' what needs my attention.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Pick a time (Daylight or Standard) and stick with it. Out here, roads incidents ramp up for about a fortnight each time we change the damned clocks - which tells me its time has come and gone (people aren't adapting to it anymore.)

Best solution?

Put the entire world on Zulu/GMT, and go forward from there. That way, you don't have to wonder what time or time zone whoever you're calling is in - if it's 0900, it's 0900. Business hours would be posted in Zulu, just offset for local time (so, say, Banker's Hours here in CA would be 0900-1700 +8, or 1700-0100 Zulu. Wherever you are, you know what time we're open, and what time you can expect an answer when you call.)

And yes, I think on a 24-hour clock. I found out about the 24-hour clock when I was seven and thought it made great good sense. I've been thinking on a 24-hour clock ever since, and I finally found watches with a 24-hour movement that cost less than my truck (I can't wear digital for some odd reason. Screen goes blank inside of a fortnight. Probably get it from my granddad - he couldn't even wear battery-powered watches, and wore the same self-winder for fifty or sixty years.)

Spending six years in the AF as a radioman merely reinforced that - I just set my wristwatch to Zulu and left it there the whole time, and mentally applied the local offset for wherever I was.

And no, Zulu/GMT/UTC does not do DST!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Doesn't bother me...However, studies have shown that the rate of heart attacks and motor vehicle accidents increase substantially in the few days following the time change. So maybe that's a good reason to abolish it? I don't think it really does much to save power as George Dubya claimed in a speech a year or two ago..?
Never did understand that one. No matter WHAT time it gets dark it STAYS dark the same amount of time.:confused: Kind of a no brainer.

I like it because I can stay outside doing stuff later in the summer, and during early bow season it stays light longer!:thumbsup: Other than that it's mearly a PITA to keep changing my clocks.:thumbdown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts