Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of research on this before I did the installation, and read that I have to raise the track bar at the axle end. Here's a pic of what I have and the angles. My question is do I need to raise the track bar up, or can I put the stock pitman arm back on to bring the drag link angle up? The steering is WJ steering, but shortened. The thing wobbles so bad over bumps it's hardly drivable.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did an alignment right after the swap. Toe is dead on as well as caster. And it is definately death wobble.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Typically DW is brought on by something worn, how were your balljoints? Check the steering box to unirail as well.

Looks like you could do both, add the stock pitman and raise the axle end of TB. You'll want those angles paralell eventually anyway.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did an alignment right after the swap. Toe is dead on as well as caster. And it is definately death wobble.
The angles being off won't cause death wobble, but they would cause some bumpsteer. If your toe and caster are correct and you're getting DW, then something is loose or worn out.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah...forgot to mention...I did use new WJ lower ball joints. I will double check the track bar mounts, but they were tight last night when i did the swap. I'm not running a steering damper currently, but I don't think it would have helped the amount of wobble it was producing going over bumps. Had to come to a complete stop to stop the wobble.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Death wobble can be caused by a cumulative wear on several parts, so you will need to check them. I would be particularly suspicious of any you just replaced.

When you set up track bars and or pitman arms there is just one rule. The track bar angle and length needs to be as close to parallel to the drag link so that it forms two sides of a parallelogram. If you do this, you will have no bump steer and if everything is tight then you will not have death wobble either.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Even if you did throw a steering stabilizer on, it'd only hide the real problem anyway. You should fix the problem, and then if you want, add the SS. The SS is good to reduce minor vibrations or imperfections in the steering, but it's not a good way to "fix" major issues.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well apparantly due to all the air hammering, pressing, and torching of the ball joints...the vibration broke the nut zerts on the for the bolts on the bottom of the frame side track bar mount. Never thought of that. Thanks for all the input guys...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts