Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Decided to fab a bumper today

5K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  littleblackxj 
#1 ·

This is how it sits now. I still need to cut two more peices or tubing and put them on the end, and then just make end caps. Sorry about the bad quality, I took it with my cell. I'll be sure to post good quality pictures when it's all done :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
This is how it sits now. I still need to cut two more peices or tubing and put them on the end, and then just make end caps. Sorry about the bad quality, I took it with my cell. I'll be sure to post good quality pictures when it's all done :thumbsup:
No problem. Even bad pics are fun to look at, and this isn't even a bad pic.

#4 ·
If all goes well I'll finish it monday. I was going to build some rock sliders while I had everything out. What size metal do you guys recommend? I used 1/8" for my bumper and it seems pretty beefy so I was just going to run that. Also I can't decide of I want to do 2" square tubing or 2x4" tubing. What do you guys think?

#5 ·
well as for the sliders, you could just go to jcr or equivalent and see what gauge metal they are using.

as far as tubing or 2x4 its up to you. i like the look of tubing better, but you would want to add a hoop or more tubing to stick out further to protect the rockers. the 2x4's are cool as well and are probably easier to build because they already stick out more. the only reason i wouldnt run 2x4 as a first choice up here in WI is because of snow and other crap getting stuck on top of them like lets say mud. i already clean enough snow off of the arb front bumper and it gets annoying haha. but in CA im sure you dont have to worry about it to much. either way im sure they will turn out sweet.

#15 ·
Hate to correct you but I think he was talking about 2" square vs. 2" x 4" rectangle.

OP - I personally like the 2" square with a 1.5" tube welded on. If you do live in a snow belt then going this route would help prevent the snow (or mud) from building up on top of the 2" x 4"...

P.s. - bumper looks good so far and for d-ring mounts I would suggest the ones you weld "into" the bumper (A to Z Fabrication sells them along with many other places) as opposed to the weld "on" tabs...:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Very nice job.

Question: Are you going to be using this bumper for recovery? If so, you should think about somehow tying it into the rear frame rails, similar to how hitches are installed.

As for the rock sliders, I'd recommend 3/16" thickness. The 1/8" just may not be strong enough if you take some hard hits. I know my 3/16" sliders have some dents in them, wouldn't want to see what they'd be like if it was 1/8".

#12 ·
I think that those four bolts only bolt to a thing horizontal crossmember that goes from frame rail to frame rail though, which is why I haven't considered it as a strong recovery point. Feel free to correct me though because I may be wrong.

#13 ·
I am going to weld 3/4" D ring tabs on the bumper and use it for recovery. I have a hitch as well so if I need to do any heavy pulling then I'll just use that, but the stock bumper mounting location seems strong enough for what I am going to be doing.

#49 ·
I am going to weld 3/4" D ring tabs on the bumper and use it for recovery. I have a hitch as well so if I need to do any heavy pulling then I'll just use that, but the stock bumper mounting location seems strong enough for what I am going to be doing.
It very well may NOT be though. If you are going to use the stock location, make sure to inspect the bolt holes and the area around them for spider cracks. It wouldn't be that hard to add some steel to run inside the uni-frame rails. Thread the holes or weld on some nuts and use them to replace the nutstrips for hitch mounting.

#19 ·
Yep - just like that and to cut a rectangle you would use a drill bit in the corners then file them down...:thumbsup:

Give me some time and I'll have a little write up on how I do mine - it might be a month until I get to them but I have for of those sitting on my bench waiting for me to build my bumpers...

#21 · (Edited)
Nice looking bumper so far. I have one like that on the 94. the weling that was done came aprat so I have to fix it. when I do I am going to make it a bit different as I want the d rings. all you have to do to make the hole is cut with mini grinder and like said use a drill to cut out the conrers.. its not hard just make sure you measure twice for the location....lol....
I would say like others have think about making the bumper mounts different. if you put to much strain on that it will rip off. bad thing is it will weaken the ends of the unibody when that happens.

#22 ·
i am planning on doing something simular to the rear bumper soon, i do have a rear hitch that the original owner welded to the frame, but was thinking of slicing into the hitch, and attaching the bumper together for more support.
oh heres a few pics of my rock-rail-sliders that i custom built, with 2" tube that are tucked real close to the rocker, might help ya decide

#26 ·
cool rear bumper, I LOVE those rocker guards on the cheromanche.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.