Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking like this is a pretty good settup for my front 30 according to what i have read so far. This is for typically Chicago snow and occasionally trail riding. Thoughts and openions ?

Is it a bolt in thing or a whole axle teardown ? Gearhead oriented but never jumped into tranny rebuilds or axles.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
IMO I would stay away from those types of lockers. I would only use one for the rear axle if I had to, but I would definitely pay the extra $$$ and get the selectable locker.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A lot of people will never wheel in a stiuation that will warrant a true locker... A true-trac functions very well as a limited slip, and provides advantages over true lockers on the street.

Installation requires near complete dissasembly of the axle in question. And re-setting of the gears (easy enough to not screw up, the pinion is already right, just reset the backlash by shimming the carrier bearings.)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really dont feel like tearing a rearend apart. Never have but sure i could.

·
Registered
412 Posts
powertraxs my friend snapped a d30 trutrac he now has powertraxs front and rear
How'd he 'snap' a truetrac? I could see having one fail internally and reduce the gears to a bunch of metallic lumps, or stripping the splines out of it, but not 'snap'. Both of those scenarios I consider highly unlikely - it is a quality product.

I broke my ring and pinion without hurting my truetrac.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts