Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am wondering if there is anyone that has used Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential in their cherokee, and possibly with a 5 speed? I was interested in getting this for my 91 for both front and rear and I talked to a guy in at my work about this and he had one in his mustang. He said he put in a new ring and pinion set the backlash on that and put in the truetrac. He said when you get on and off the gas it would clunk in the rear. So he took another look at everything and there is alot of backlash in the helical gear in the truetrac causing the clunk. He also has a 5 speed. I was hoping someone might have installed this on their jeep as well and wondered if they experienced a similar problem? Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
Assuming there were no manufacturer defects, the Tru Trac is engineered to be tight. That is how it works. If it loose, it won't. From what you say, I am inclined o think that the clunking was caused by too much backlash against a tight Tru Trac.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi 4.3L XJ, I was wondering if he had a bad one from the manufacturer because he is a very sharp mechanic. It's like anything else you buy not all are as they should be.

Hi HaPtOAD, What experience did you have with it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
i can't really say that there junk, just very unperdictable. curves and turns, on and off the gas. you think your good in a turn then bam. there you go right around, happened twice. i sent mine back to detroit had it looked over to see if there was anything wrong with it. some guy called me a few weeks later and said there was nothing wrong and that they have less than 1% mess up. but there is always that 1%. maybe in a stock or a more stock than my cherokee would do ok.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
so did it lock up? They aren't supposed to. As I understand it they have different degrees of positive traction, the maximum being 70% lockup.

·
Registered
130 Posts
mine would lock up.... sometimes. dry/wet didn't matter. i got it thinking to save my tires. when it come around on me the first time it was wet, the second was dry. damn near rolled it.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
mine would lock up.... sometimes. dry/wet didn't matter. i got it thinking to save my tires. when it come around on me the first time it was wet, the second was dry. damn near rolled it.
Bummer. Sounds like a defective unit to me. They are not supposed to do that. 70% of lock up max.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info everyone! I thought with the detroit name, less parts to wear and of course price this may have been the way to go. I think I might just stay away from this, I don't want to put it in and have a bunch of headaches with it all the time. Thanks again!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts