Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2.5 Diesel XJ. I've recently replaced the fuel filter because the car wouldn't start at all - it had been standing a long time. Now when I go to start it it takes multiple attempts of cranking but eventually she fires up. Straight after this she will idle ok and rev up pretty responsively if I hit the throttle pedal. However, after a little while (even without driving anywhere the revs will start to die - flooring the throttle does nothing and they just drop to zero and she stalls. It then takes so much cranking to try and start her back up again that it sucks most of the power out of the (brand new 1 day old) battery..

I cant work out why she suddenly loses all power and then stops runnning.

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
Diesels are not common for must of us, not available. But some of us have had them. If a diesel has fuel and compression, it runs. Pretty simple in theory. It sounds like it doing exactly what my diesel tractor does if it runs out of fuel. So I think you need to be checking fuel pressure feeding the injector pump. I think you will find it is dropping off and starving it

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Diesels are very temperamental and don't like to run out of fuel if they do, you wind up have to disconnect the injector lines to bleed out the air. I'm not familiar with the jeep diesels, but it does sound like a fuel issue. I'm leaning toward the fuel pump or injector pump. How many miles on it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diesels are not common for must of us, not available. But some of us have had them. If a diesel has fuel and compression, it runs. Pretty simple in theory. It sounds like it doing exactly what my diesel tractor does if it runs out of fuel. So I think you need to be checking fuel pressure feeding the injector pump. I think you will find it is dropping off and starving it
Yes I was thinking that it must be something to do with the fuel not reaching the injectors for some reason..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diesels are very temperamental and don't like to run out of fuel if they do, you wind up have to disconnect the injector lines to bleed out the air. I'm not familiar with the jeep diesels, but it does sound like a fuel issue. I'm leaning toward the fuel pump or injector pump. How many miles on it?
100k miles - runs and sounds fine to start with but then just dies. Yes I am thinking something stopping the fuel getting to the injectors..

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
You could have a bad primary fuel pump, or bad relay for it. But you have to start by checking the fuel pump pressure. Otherwise you won't know and you will just be throwing money at it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts