Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i was looking at the pumpkin on my chrysler 8.25 and looked at the drain plug. I noticed it was just a rubber stopper type thing and was wondering of this was normal or if i should replace it with some other type of plug.
And with my Dana 30 drain plug i would need a square wrench of some sort. Is that a specialty tool or something?
Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The rubber plug on the 8.25 is not a "drain" plug, but a "check" plug.
Or a "fill" plug.
Its what you put the lube back into after youve removed the cover and drained it.
And as far as i know there is no other replacement for the rubber plug.
Unless you buy an aftermarket diff cover.

As far as the Dana 30, just use a ratchet w/o any attachment.
Dont know the size# but it's the midsize wrench.
(im currently having a brainfart) :brickwall:

·
Registered
412 Posts
3/8"...

You might be able to tap the hole in the 8.25 cover to put a plug in it. I'd probably just buy an aftermarket cover since they're a good idea anyways (okay, that's a lie, I'd weld steel all over the stock one and tap the hole, but I'm really cheap).

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
3/8"...

You might be able to tap the hole in the 8.25 cover to put a plug in it. I'd probably just buy an aftermarket cover since they're a good idea anyways (okay, that's a lie, I'd weld steel all over the stock one and tap the hole, but I'm really cheap).
:rofl: You sound like me.

But yeah, the rubber's all we've got. I RTV mine before popping it back in after a fluid change, as they tend to leak a bit now and then. But an aftermarket cover will have a threaded hold for an allen wrench or 3/8" drive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts