Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just moved to where its a half mile of dirt road till my house.the washboards or whatever the bumps in the dirt that vibrate your vehicle.my question is ive drivin my company truck and roomates car on this road fine minimal trouble.the second i pull my xj out onto it it feels like my dashboards gonna rip out (figure of speach) and its REALLY uncomfortable to drive on,i almost wanna be offroad instead. any advise? my shocks are not new but you think this is my problem,somethin tells me no

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
your saying that the ride is too bouncy? jumping alot? maybe your springs and leafs are hard, so that make a harsh ride... maybe,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds to me like you just need to take an hour or 2 and go around tightening things up inside your Jeep. If you've never done it or haven't done it in awhile, then "It is time"!!!:thumbsup:

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
My last 4x4 Ranger did this after the lift and shocks (oil filled). I switched to gas and that took care of it. My XJ didn't do it till I lifted it. Next shocks will be a better shock

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well first you need to realize that you are driving a jeep.
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:
I have not been in any xj that when driving one washboard dirt roads did not feel like it was going to fall apart. lifted not lifted. aired up or aired down tires... shocks new or not.... I have diven alot of jeep and in alot... they just seem like they are falling apart... but gas shocks do make a differance but still shake ratel and roll

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright........goodstuff,thanks

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I am sure a long arms will help a lot too. I would get quality shocks for starters though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If all else fails just go real fast and you will only hit the tops of the bumps.....:rock:
This is actually true to some extent - even prooven on Mythbusters. You do have to bring the speed up quite a bit before you start to float on top.

I also agree on gas shocks. Oil shocks just don't have a quick rebound stroke and the compression stroke can be very progressive at speed (gets stiff, then hot, then fails).

Maybe consider a good Bilstein...and lower tire pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could try bringing the torsion bars down a little bit. You'll lose a little bit of ride height but it will have a better ride. When i bought mine the guy had the torsion bars down on mine about 2 inches from stock. I put them the whole way up and it a lot rougher ride.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
It seems in your avatar that you are running 5.5" lift? is this on short arms? if so, that's probably your problem. All that rough terrain is being transfered up into the chassis and you feel it inside. If your suspension was set up correctly, then the shocks and springs would be taking the impacts and it would be alot softer. Mine was very rough at 4.5" on short arms until i got the arms parallel like they are stock and it rides so nice now. Washboard roads and rough terrain are easily handled. If you look at RE's 5.5" short arm kit, it has drop brackets for this very reason.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was recently told i need a longarm....thanks

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
You can also drop a couple of pounds out of your tires. When you get shocks, get some that will promote a smooth ride. 10% compression 90% rebound. Don't get a 50 - 50 shock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts