Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2005 liberty back plates and calipers from a salvage yard.

I have to go get the rest of the stuff from oreillys, I have watched every video and read through threads. But just wanted to clear up in my head.

So:

1. 95 grand cherokee soft rear brake lines to connect to the caliper.

2. 2005 liberty backing plate studs

3. 2005. Liberty lug nut studs for axle or Dana 30 lug studs?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it is a 8.25.

Tonight I ordered the brake hoses from autozone and I got one Dana 30 lug stud and a liberty lug stud. That way when I knock out the studs from the axle I can see which one will give me a better setup. The liberty stud is about a 1/8 longer than the Dana 30 one.

I am considering using open ended lug nuts so a little long shouldn't be a issue. I got one open ended one to see how I like it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are actually a number of wheel studs you can use. For instance I have Ford Explorer studs on mine that are longer yet. As long as they have the right shoulder and thread size, 1/2X20 you are good. The biggest issue there for you is whether or not you are running steel or aluminum wheels or if you plan to run a wheel spacer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have installed them and have been driving for two days and the difference is amazing.

I did some panic stops from 20 to 55 mph and my jeep stopped perfectly straight not fading to one side and no sliding at all from rear wheels.

Overall normal cornering at slow speeds while riding my brake is butter smooth with no weird stuff.

Normal braking is simply sweet and smooth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not do a zj proportioning valve yet, but at this point I do not see a need. The panic stops were perfect so I am gonna test from time to time and make a final decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing I feel like I made a poor decision was my new lug studs, I used the front ones for Dana 30 and they were only 1/8 longer than my stock ones. I think I could have researched a little more.

I took my axles to a machine shop and had them pressed in instead of doing the impact driver trick and am glad because they fit a little tighter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also used grad 8 bolts to bolt on the backing plates, I got lock washers and also used blue lock tight. I didn't have to grind off the edge of the hex head, not sure why the stock ones were ground because there is no interference from axle tube.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So many guys mentioned getting new rotors, I used a wire wheel on my drill and in minutes knocked off the rust from the used ones. Pretty sure they are polishing off perfectly fine as I drive more day to day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only rear fail was my short left side brake line. As I loosened the nut on the caliper it was rusted to the line and twisted it off. I got a 12 inch one from oreillys that was pre made with two fittings on it and it ended up fitting good. I re routed it differently than the stock one and to me it is in a better location.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The new brake hoses that bolt on the calipers from autozone have a different big mounting bracket on it than the ones I saw in videos. I was able to use my angle grinder and grind down the rivot and then tap it off since it isn't needed. I like the cleaner look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was surprised how easy pulling the axles really was. It was my first time doing that so I made sure to watch videos and be careful to not knock loose the spider gears. I did get new axle seals and rented the install tool at autozone and putting them on was easy with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right now I am pretty sure I am at 220 dollars for this job. If I can do the emergency brake hook up with the old ones I will stay right there. If not add 55 bucks for new cables.

·
Registered
1998 Jeep Cherokee xj sport w/4.0 auto D30 front and 8.25 rear 6” rubicon express lift fox shocks
19 Posts
I did the disc brake conversion on my 98 xj but I didn’t have to change the studs and LEEDS makes a good conversion kit as that’s what I used , I’ve switched my calipers around because I didn’t like the e brake cables on top and the brake hoses on bottom
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle brake

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Hat

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Rim

1 - 20 of 34 Posts