Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my 2000 xj has a distirbuterless ignition system. what I have is a rail that fits over my spark plugs and plugs in to a wire harness. my timing is controlled by a knock sensor. so here is the issue. it was raining really hard one day and I was splashing through puddles when I got my electricals wet. my power steering went which was weird I figure the belt got wet and made it slip but it quickly came back. then my jeep started to run rough and died and wouldn't start. so I let it sit for a while. after a few failed starts and more waiting it started ran for 150' and died a gain. when i got it to start again not all the cylinders were firing and it eventually died again. after more waiting it started and got me home. it has started fine and ran well since then once it was all dried out but I feel my MPG has taken a hit. 50 or so out of a tank. maby more. I have checked my oil, tranny fluid, and harness connections. they all seem fine. I'm thinking maybe some water got into the boot where the rail meets the spark plug. prabrobly the most obvious culprit. does anyone have suggestions or comments. I love my jeep but 15-17 mpg sucks!!!!! also when this all happened my check engine light came on. the next day when is started up fine the light was still on. so I turned it off disconnected the negative batt cable turned the key to the on position back to off and reconnected the neg cable. this cleared the light. should I have not done that? I have since done the code trick for the OBDII to check for any codes and have not come up with any.

·
Registered
183 Posts
so my 2000 xj has a distirbuterless ignition system. what I have is a rail that fits over my spark plugs and plugs in to a wire harness. my timing is controlled by a knock sensor. so here is the issue. it was raining really hard one day and I was splashing through puddles when I got my electricals wet. my power steering went which was weird I figure the belt got wet and made it slip but it quickly came back. then my jeep started to run rough and died and wouldn't start. so I let it sit for a while. after a few failed starts and more waiting it started ran for 150' and died a gain. when i got it to start again not all the cylinders were firing and it eventually died again. after more waiting it started and got me home. it has started fine and ran well since then once it was all dried out but I feel my MPG has taken a hit. 50 or so out of a tank. maby more. I have checked my oil, tranny fluid, and harness connections. they all seem fine. I'm thinking maybe some water got into the boot where the rail meets the spark plug. prabrobly the most obvious culprit. does anyone have suggestions or comments. I love my jeep but 15-17 mpg sucks!!!!! also when this all happened my check engine light came on. the next day when is started up fine the light was still on. so I turned it off disconnected the negative batt cable turned the key to the on position back to off and reconnected the neg cable. this cleared the light. should I have not done that? I have since done the code trick for the OBDII to check for any codes and have not come up with any.
the code will come back if something is still tripping it. when it comes on again, bring it to a decent autoparts store and they will scan it for free. also 15-17 mpg is pretty good. that seems to be about average for the 6 cylinder xjs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts