Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No clue how I'm going to get a 3" lift on my XJ and was wondering if anybody here has ever paid a mechanic to install it.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I don't see why they can't, all they're doing is swapping out old suspension parts for new ones, then doing an alignment. It's the same process as when they are swapping out old springs and installing new ones.

You may want to confirm with them first though, as many won't modify a vehicle because they won't be covered in case something happens. A 3" lift is fairly simple to do, and can be done with a simple collection of tools. Any reason in particular that you don't want to do it yourself?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I have no prior knowledge and barely any if any at all knowledge of suspension parts. Neither do my family members (mostly all girls in my family). I just think it'd be a lot better to do my lift right since I'm going the extra mile to pay the extra $250 or so for full springs instead of AAL.

·
Registered
444 Posts
add-a-leafs are ridiculous and should be outlawed lol..
full leaf packs are definitely worth it, stock XJ leafs blow for wheelin

If you do go with full leaf packs.. which i highly suggest.. before you install them, go to a wrecking yard and pick up a set of anit-wrap leafs off a late model s10.. It's one leaf that is about 5/8" thick at the perch than tapers out flat to about 1/8"

Doing this will protect your leafs against axle wrap..
axle wrap RUINS leaf springs.. and U-Joints.. and axle shafts..

heres a pic of what im talking about...

see how the bottom leaf doesn't touch the rest of the leaf? thats because is sitting there in park.. when you load up the drivetrane, the part that isn't touching will wrap up and to touch the leaf pack then not wrap anymore.. trust me.. breaking shit sucks..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do a search for offroad clubs in your area. Start talking to those guys and gals and even join the club. You meet great people and learn a lot and have lots of people to help you mod and teach you about your Jeep. You could always organize a wrenching party and get your lift installed in a day, learn how to do it yourself and even help out and all it would probably cost you is a couple pizzas and a case of beer.

http://www.itsajeep.org/

http://www.geocities.com/sa4wda/

http://axletwisters.ning.com/

http://www.caos4x4.com/

http://www.offroadextremes.com/

·
Registered
600 Posts
Take it from me, do it yourself. I learned so much its crazy, after the lift install I felt very confident in working on the rest of the XJ. Quite the experience it is, I highly recommend doing it yourself.
x2 It will help you get familiar with all your suspension parts

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I also want to stress how good it'd be for you to do the lift yourself. Ask a couple friends to help you out, buy them lunch, and spend the day wrenching. You know you can always come on here and ask questions throughout the process if you need clarification on a step or need help doing something. I also believe there is a write-up in the Technical Articles section that you can reference for additional help.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
You're in Alabama, so unless you are on the water your bolts will probably be as easy as mine were.

I didn't install my lift, but I stood there and watched (and read the instructions to the mechnic) :(

Anyway the really hard part is getting the new coil springs in. You really just need a spring compressor(s) but there is a lot of stored energy in that spring so you have to be really careful.

The leaf springs are easy, especially if you do full replacements. I think I did mine a month ago in about 3 hours.

I went with a AAL kit first (cheap) then got the full leafs later.

It will take you about 6 to 10 hours to install a lift.

My mechanic didn't know what he was doing, I had to read the instructions and he read the instructions. He did a good job, but I don't think he did it much faster than I could have done it. I was just lazy.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just remember this...
We weren't born mechanics. We learned it from somewhere, and now days, you have this forum, google and a bunch of other crap we didn't.

It's not all that bad, it's actually quite simple. If you can change printer cartridges and realign the print heads, you can do this...

·
Registered
378 Posts

If you do go with full leaf packs.. which i highly suggest.. before you install them, go to a wrecking yard and pick up a set of anit-wrap leafs off a late model s10.. It's one leaf that is about 5/8" thick at the perch than tapers out flat to about 1/8"

see how the bottom leaf doesn't touch the rest of the leaf? thats because is sitting there in park.. when you load up the drivetrane, the part that isn't touching will wrap up and to touch the leaf pack then not wrap anymore.. trust me.. breaking shit sucks..
:rofl: what's with that ginormous block!? :rofl: :rofl:

Great tip on the S10 anti-wrap leafs though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
no blocks doesn't necessarily mean no wrap, I can attest to that. I don't run blocks but I've certainly had to deal with axle wrap in the past. So much so in fact that I built a traction bar.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
You're in Alabama, so unless you are on the water your bolts will probably be as easy as mine were.

I didn't install my lift, but I stood there and watched (and read the instructions to the mechnic) :(

Anyway the really hard part is getting the new coil springs in. You really just need a spring compressor(s) but there is a lot of stored energy in that spring so you have to be really careful.

The leaf springs are easy, especially if you do full replacements. I think I did mine a month ago in about 3 hours.

I went with a AAL kit first (cheap) then got the full leafs later.

It will take you about 6 to 10 hours to install a lift.

My mechanic didn't know what he was doing, I had to read the instructions and he read the instructions. He did a good job, but I don't think he did it much faster than I could have done it. I was just lazy.
Ill have to disagree with the coil part, its actually not that bad to get the coils in all you need to do is drop the axle enough so that you have room. I put my coils in by hand with ease.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have stock leafs, they sag some and wont hold much of a load what about putting air shocks on ? it seems that it would give a little more lift an better suport for loads and towing

·
Registered
378 Posts
IMHO air shocks are a bad idea. They tend to make the ride really stiff, and I don't think the stock shock mounts were really designed for that kind of load carrying (ie: supporting the vehicle's weight).

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts

Very interesting. In your case, I'd say that axle wrap is coming from that huge block. Do you get vibes with that setup? I mean the slight change of pinion when you gas it, until the anti-wrap leaf starts to work?

·
Registered
606 Posts
my mechanic want 250.00 to install my lift 3 inch springs lower control arms long aal and shocks does this sound about right.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
my mechanic want 250.00 to install my lift 3 inch springs lower control arms long aal and shocks does this sound about right.
I would say that's decent. What's their labor rate?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts