Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a TomTom, and I'm going to see if this thing will be as useful as most say it is. How do you feel about your GPS?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I hate them, they've gotten me lost more times than they've actually helped me. Granted it could've been the units I used. I can honestly say that I've never gotten lost using the old and reliable method of a map.

I also hate having extra things hanging from my windshield, along with their associated wires and plugs.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I like mine. I have a garmin nuvi. They are great if you already know where you are going, lol. If you have no idea then definitely don't rely on them because they will get you more lost then anything. I can never calibrate where I am on the gps and where I am in real life, so I always take turns a couple streets too early :p

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have the TomTom One and it helps a lot. Even here around town trying to find an address I have never been to. It takes you right to the house.
I have used it on trips to unknown places too and it always got me to within a few hundred feet. It allows you to keep your eyes on the road and just listen to the directions as well.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I have a Dell Axim x3i and a gps receiver from Microsoft streets and trips. I loaded the TomTom software on the Dell (Windows Mobile). So I have a multi-purpose PDA, not just a GPS.

It's fun to play with but that gets old after a week.

I use it anytime I'm going somewhere new. It is wonderful on trips, because as the driver you don't have to worry about watching all the road signs. Just drive and enjoy. Plus it will take you a route that is shorter and one you might not take normally. We went on a trip to central Texas during the summer. It was beautiful and I was able to enjoy the scenery for a change.

I highly recommend one but realistically you MAY use it once every two months. It really depends on how many new places you go.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I like mine. I have a garmin nuvi. They are great if you already know where you are going, lol. If you have no idea then definitely don't rely on them because they will get you more lost then anything. I can never calibrate where I am on the gps and where I am in real life, so I always take turns a couple streets too early :p
Are they really that inaccurate? I never messed with a gps before but was able to play around with my mother's garmin nuvi. It seems pretty neat and roads seem accurate, at least around town they do. I was thinking of picking one up since they are pretty cheap on amazon ($130). I just wanted to make sure it was worth the purchase first. I liked the option to change the vehicle on the screen to a jeep or lifted truck, or even a tank. Thanks cool. I had no idea it could relay messages via voice and that scared the living crap out of me cuz i thought someone was in the car. I can't really make out what its saying but I do hear the voice speaking.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Mudd I think it depends upon how good of a GPS you get. Mine is very accurate and I would trust it to find any place I wanted to go. Took me to a buddies house in a tiny town in S.C. right to his door. Helped me navigate through the mountains at night in pouring rain an a narrow two lane road with no guard rails. I could anticipate upcoming curves and always felt like I could see them better if I knew they were coming up.
All in all one of the best new tools I have ever bought.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Mudd I think it depends upon how good of a GPS you get. Mine is very accurate and I would trust it to find any place I wanted to go. Took me to a buddies house in a tiny town in S.C. right to his door. Helped me navigate through the mountains at night in pouring rain an a narrow two lane road with no guard rails. I could anticipate upcoming curves and always felt like I could see them better if I knew they were coming up.
All in all one of the best new tools I have ever bought.
Amazon.com: TomTom ONE 125 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics

Not a bad deal. Is that what you have?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
When in town, I use my lap top and Google maps to navigate. I frequently travel in my business and need to find addresses.

However out in the woods, I am very old school. Topog maps and good compass. I once put myself to within 80' of a section corner that way. Besides, maps allow you to get a feel for where you are going more than a GPS can. Kind of like getting the big picture.

·
Registered
330 Posts
When in town, I use my lap top and Google maps to navigate. I frequently travel in my business and need to find addresses.

However out in the woods, I am very old school. Topog maps and good compass. I once put myself to within 80' of a section corner that way. Besides, maps allow you to get a feel for where you are going more than a GPS can. Kind of like getting the big picture.
I use a GPS when I'm traveling, and also when I am in a woods I'm not familiar with. I have Topo maps but have found that when you get "back in somewhere" ridges, ravines all begin to look the same. It's nice to have set a waypoint where you parked as a reference.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Are they really that inaccurate? I never messed with a gps before but was able to play around with my mother's garmin nuvi. It seems pretty neat and roads seem accurate, at least around town they do. I was thinking of picking one up since they are pretty cheap on amazon ($130). I just wanted to make sure it was worth the purchase first. I liked the option to change the vehicle on the screen to a jeep or lifted truck, or even a tank. Thanks cool. I had no idea it could relay messages via voice and that scared the living crap out of me cuz i thought someone was in the car. I can't really make out what its saying but I do hear the voice speaking.
Nah, it's just me that's innacurate. It gets kinda hard when the streets are really dense. The GPS itself is fine though.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I think the resolution of the gps is 50 to 300 feet. So if the roads you are traveling on are close (like in that rat's nest in Dallas freeway system) the gps tries to figure out what road you are really on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have a germin nuvi 200, and i find that it works great for the trip, but ive had the final destination be down the street, or way before it tells you to stop. but never further than a mile.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts