Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:brickwall:

WARSAW (AFP) – A Polish driver who was too sure of his GPS road navigation device ended up neck-deep in a lake after ignoring road signs warning of a dead-end ahead, Polish police said Friday.

"The man took a road that was closed a year ago when the area was flooded to make an artificial lake serving as a water reservoir -- he ignored three road signs warning of a dead-end," Piotr Smolen, police spokesman in Glubczyce, southern Poland, told AFP Friday.

"It was still night time and he didn't notice the road led into the lake. His GPS told him to drive straight ahead and he did," Smolen said, adding the driver had not been under the influence of alcohol.

The road ran straight downhill into the lake. The Mercedes mini-van was nearly entirely submerged and was unable to back out on its own after being inundated with water.

The driver and two passengers escaped unharmed from the submerged vehicle and waited on its roof for police and fire rescue crews.

The driver placed the first call to emergency services while still inside the sinking van.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/polandaccidentoffbeat;_ylt=AiHtKssQ_fN9D8g_En8o4._tiBIF

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
My GPS (Tom-Tom)is updateable via the computer website. I take in in and plug it and it updates every available map. This is done every 24 hours.
I rarely use it around home but do on occasion if trying to find a specific address. I use it on trips all the time to help me to keep from speeding and to warn me of thengs like construction amd detours.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I use TomTom on my PDA. I only use it when I'm going somewhere new. Great for trips. I never have to worry about being on the right road, correct lane, etc... Makes the trip much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The wife has a Garmin GPS to get around town...

One of the best GPS units out there in my opinion...

Sure beats trying to fold up maps to get them back into the glove box!!!

And I really like the fact that I can find gas stations and restaurants in places I'm not familiar with. Really handy on road trips...

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'd like to have a better one!!

I use mine mostly to know the approx. elevation, and speed I'm traveling, as well as the general direction. My JeepPS is old, and most of the places I go aren't on it!!:brickwall:
It's very outdated and I lost the cable to hook it to my PC to update, not that I'd bother anyway!!:devil:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
tom tom sucks..garmin ftw

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I use mine mostly to know the approx. elevation, and speed I'm traveling, as well as the general direction. My JeepPS is old, and most of the places I go aren't on it!!:brickwall:
It's very outdated and I lost the cable to hook it to my PC to update, not that I'd bother anyway!!:devil:
JeepPS, i like that. :bow:

I don't own a gps. What fun is there getting to your destination without getting lost? I tend to find unique locations, wheeling spots, stores, etc when i'm lost that didn't even know were there. How did i find my xj? I was LOST in pittsburgh and came across it in a dealer lot. ;) If i had a gps in my TJ, i would not be in this forum right now driving everyone nuts and my tj would probably be on 39's, long-armed, and i would be seriously broke. Thank god for being lost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts