Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hows it going i have a 91 cherokee sport 5 speed standard with a NP 231 J backing it.
stupid qustion 1 does the tcase share fluid with the trans

stupid qustion 2 what fluid do you run in trans and tcase

thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
No, and it takes Dextron 4 I think

Reactions: Jazzyforce

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have the same rig, and one day I decided to change my tranny fluid, I didn't realize it take a special fluid due to the brass synchro s, it got very expensive as the only place I could find it was on line. $60 just for the fluid. I'll go to my build thread and share what brand it was. And edit this in a minute or two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same rig, and one day I decided to change my tranny fluid, I didn't realize it take a special fluid due to the brass synchro s, it got very expensive as the only place I could find it was on line. $60 just for the fluid. I'll go to my build thread and share what brand it was. And edit this in a minute or two.
thank you would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I made the mistake of using regular 75-90 wt. Diff fluid and was grind gears all over the place went right home and research my mistake. Some say you can use this or that but I believe that particular year is one that requires the correct fluid or you will end up in a panic like I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a link for the type of fluid I ended up using
The T-case uses automatic transmission fluid I think the Chrysler type is what 4.3L XJ noted
[/QUOT
I made the mistake of using regular 75-90 wt. Diff fluid and was grind gears all over the place went right home and research my mistake. Some say you can use this or that but I believe that particular year is one that requires the correct fluid or you will end up in a panic like I did.
i will be heading out to do that in the morning ill repost the trans moddle numbers thank you for you'er time

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Your welcome! I love wheeling /exploring in my rig. It has taken me all over our mountains here in Colorado. Fun rig.

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Regular 90w14 or straight 90W. Unless you have a limited slip, then it needs an additive

Reactions: Jazzyforce
1 - 11 of 11 Posts