Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
doing clutch on 2.5l with x4 and 4wd... any " make my life easier" tips?

ive done alot of clutches but no internal slave hydro ones. any time saving tips would be great im doing it in a less than ideal spot and i dont have a tranny jack. thanks in advance im leaving to pick up my clutch set now:) special order

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dont cut the bands on the throwout bearing, they "pop" when you use it. If your TO bearing has them of course.

Pick up an E-12 socket for the top two bellhousing bolts. It's a reverse Torx.

Seperating the trans and transfer will make it easier to remove and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont cut the bands on the throwout bearing, they "pop" when you use it. If your TO bearing has them of course.

Pick up an E-12 socket for the top two bellhousing bolts. It's a reverse Torx.

Seperating the trans and transfer will make it easier to remove and reinstall.
a e-12? what mm is that? and cant you just use a 12 sided socket for those like the one on the front wheel hub assmbly

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never done one but I would really appreciate a writeup for CT if at all possible.
ill see what i can do kyle....im kinda in a hurry so i might now get as detailed as i should on pics

·
Registered
557 Posts
It's not a metric measure, it's reverse torx. Looks like a torx bit... only reversed. :D

Now that i think about it, a 4cyl might not use those bolts. If it does you know what you'll need though.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not a metric measure, it's reverse torx. Looks like a torx bit... only reversed. :D

Now that i think about it, a 4cyl might not use those bolts. If it does you know what you'll need though.
i took pics of everything i can think of so far under the jeep but i havent looked at the top 2 bell bolts. im feeling reluctant on doing this so ill probabably just take my sweet time doing it. im not wanting to do this job. i did my mustang trans 4 times recently and a freinds acura and a friends mustang:(
i see theres alot of linkages under there going to the trans and i cant tell where the lines goes to the slave:( heres a few prelim pics of stuuf that needs attention

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2.5's don't have the E-bolts. They are on the starter though.
ill be swapping those for regular bolts, do you know the thread size and length?i didnt start on it today since i didnt pick up my clutch kit till 12pm and shop time is supposed to be 5hrs and it gets cold here at night but i whent to the cvar wash and pressure wash under the jeep so im not eating dirt clods all day.
im hoping to just slide everything back since i have a 1" tc drop and get in there and not undo the slave or anything. mabe unbolt the master so i have room to move the line i still cant see where it goes into the trans

·
Registered
307 Posts
2.5's don't use an E-series socket.

it's all 17 or 18mm bolts.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the bellhousing bolts are 18mm. The inspection cover is smaller...can't remember the size.
looks like 15mm

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
so far we have all the bellhousing bolts out, both drivelines and the counsel out, removing the shifter, next is the starter, turns out i have the external slave..i just about danced a jig under the jeep when i found out it was external!!! so i just have all the shift linkage crap a few wires and starter and undo the trans mount and if im lucky just slide the whole thing back resting on my crossmember and pull the clutch and flywheel and change the rear main seal while im down there

·
Registered
307 Posts
you can unbolt the slave cylinder and pull it out of the housing, then you will not have to bleed the system again.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you can unbolt the slave cylinder and pull it out of the housing, then you will not have to bleed the system again.
do u know how to disconnect the 4wd shifter? im having trouble seeing the easy way. i dont want to pull the carpet to get to certain bolts that hold a pivot bracket in

·
Registered
307 Posts
yeah from underneath.

use a short cro-bar and pop the pivot out of the bushings, then pop the linkage off the t-case

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah from underneath.

use a short cro-bar and pop the pivot out of the bushings, then pop the linkage off the t-case
yep i did it but i got more issues now. everything is out and i have the wrong clutch! its a 9 11/16" and the wrong piolt bearing. it seems i dont have a 4 speed i have a 5 speed with a dead 5th gear. it goes into the 5th position if i remember right but no 5th?how do i identify a 5speed x5 over a x4??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts