Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!! Need some help on this one. 89 xj front door hinge broke off of the chassis. I tried to just hit it with a quick tack weld to hold it till i could get into a body shop. when i tacked it i was off just enough for the door to sit off an inch at the most and is low hitting the stricker. So i took it to the body shop and the rude rude bastard at the body shop told me i was up the creek. he said i screwed up by tacking it. he said that Jeeps do this all the time and they are a p.o.s! after i told him how big of dip sh!t he was, i left!lol
Has anyone had this happen? And what did you do to fix it? I want to pull off the fender and weld the hinge there . i was told by the donkey at the shop Cherokees dont have enough "good metal" around the hinge to weld it back on. as you can tell by now i am not a welder! I know very little about welding. but willing to learn!! please help!!! thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts
My hinges have not fallen off, but I have adjusted the doors. There are some shims under where the hinge bolts on the door. You can pick up some spares at the JY if you need too. Loosen the bolts and add and subtract shims on the top and bottom until you get it where you want it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hey everyone!! Need some help on this one. 89 xj front door hinge broke off of the chassis. I tried to just hit it with a quick tack weld to hold it till i could get into a body shop. when i tacked it i was off just enough for the door to sit off an inch at the most and is low hitting the stricker. So i took it to the body shop and the rude rude bastard at the body shop told me i was up the creek. he said i screwed up by tacking it. he said that Jeeps do this all the time and they are a p.o.s! after i told him how big of dip sh!t he was, i left!lol
Has anyone had this happen? And what did you do to fix it? I want to pull off the fender and weld the hinge there . i was told by the donkey at the shop Cherokees dont have enough "good metal" around the hinge to weld it back on. as you can tell by now i am not a welder! I know very little about welding. but willing to learn!! please help!!! thanks!
How to door hinge repair

I've got the same prob and there's a suggestion on how to prevent it again.

True, they should have put a heavy reinforcement behind the hinge and then bolted it on.

Welding tip:

Grind away all paint and fillers.

Set your welder for the heavier metal (hinge) and flow your weld bead from it to the thinner body metal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. i think i will give it a try this weekend! i let you know how it goes. ill take pics of my welding so every one can get a good laugh.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
No it's definitely doable. It happened with my jeep when I was on the trail. The top hinge completely seperated from body. What I had to do was try and align the door as possible, make a couple small welds to hold it in place, then take off the door from the hinge and weld it on the rest of the way. I also took a 1"x3" 1/8" metal plate and used welded it on the top of the hinge to the body for added support. My door closes just fine and seals :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it's definitely doable. It happened with my jeep when I was on the trail. The top hinge completely seperated from body. What I had to do was try and align the door as possible, make a couple small welds to hold it in place, then take off the door from the hinge and weld it on the rest of the way. I also took a 1"x3" 1/8" metal plate and used welded it on the top of the hinge to the body for added support. My door closes just fine and seals :)
thanks for the help, i will give it try. did you weld just on the part of the hinge you can see when the door is open or did you weld the part the fender covers.i was told you cant weld where the fender covers only the curved side of the hinge that you can see when its open.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I was able to weld enough of it on to hold with the fenders on. It's holding up perfectly for the past year now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts