Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright the problem is I feel a clunk in the drive train just before I come to a stop (right when the tranny would go into neutral/torque converter kicks in) and right when i start to accelerate from a stop. I also feel it occasionally when I lift off the throttle after cruising along on the freeway for awhile. U joints are good, and when the brakes are released and the tranny is in neutral the rear end seems fairly tight (grabbing onto drive shaft and trying to twist back and forth by hand). The tranny shifts fine, nice and smooth and the clunk isn't noticeable when I am in 4wheel drive in the dirt. I have been told it could be the chain in the t-case, would this make sense? The clunk has been getting worse over the past 6 mo. :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
The slip joint coming out of the rear TCase needs to be lubed. Just take it off and lube it and you will be set.
:thumbsup:

First issue i solved when i bought my xj. Did the same thing you described and what Kyle said fixed it.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
yep same issue here

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I appreciate it, sounds like a simple and cheap fix, much better than a new chain. I will have to try that as soon as I get the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts