Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting ready to swap in my 8.8 and I went out to measure up the angles so I can weld the perches.

I get a drive shaft angle of about 15* and a perch angle of about 7*. The pinion angle is 16* and as far as I can tell the t-case is at 14*. This sounds about right.

Anyone here running around 5-5.5" of lift ... are your angles similar? I use a 1 or 2* shim, not sure which it is as the stamp is worn off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you are at 14 on your TC you must have a drop of 1" to 1-1/4" drop

if you are going to stay with a standard U joint shaft
set your pinion at 12 the angle of the drive shaft is of no concern
unless it is to steep for you u joint to handle

if you are going with the double cardan shaft
get ride of the TC drop then set your pinion angle one degre less than the drive shaft angle the TC angle is of no concern

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you are at 14 on your TC you must have a drop of 1" to 1-1/4" drop

if you are going to stay with a standard U joint shaft
set your pinion at 12 the angle of the drive shaft is of no concern
unless it is to steep for you u joint to handle

if you are going with the double cardan shaft
get ride of the TC drop then set your pinion angle one degre less than the drive shaft angle the TC angle is of no concern
I think that may be why the angles are the way they are. The original lift was a 3.5" Procomp which has been added to and tweaked a few times so it's sitting at 5.5" right now with these oddball angles.

Yes, a t-case drop of 1" - 1-1/4" and a custom one piece shaft. I may get away with a little more angle on the shaft, but not too much more. I guess I will have to play around until I get the correct angles that work. Angling the pinion 4* less will definitely put a load on the u-joints.

Switching to a double cardon would be the obvious solution, but also kinda pricey.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think that may be why the angles are the way they are. The original lift was a 3.5" Procomp which has been added to and tweaked a few times so it's sitting at 5.5" right now with these oddball angles.

Yes, a t-case drop of 1" - 1-1/4" and a custom one piece shaft. I may get away with a little more angle on the shaft, but not too much more. I guess I will have to play around until I get the correct angles that work. Angling the pinion 4* less will definitely put a load on the u-joints.

Switching to a double cardon would be the obvious solution, but also kinda pricey.
if you want it to work right you need the double cardan with the lift you have get the right drive shaft and setuup you new axle with the right pinion angle
if you dont you will have a hard time changing it later when you bust the tail on your TC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts