Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone explain to me why a driveshaft can just sit in a tcase and work,it doesnt have to be secured solid.meaning its just in there not really attached.i know the shaft has some grooves to grip the inside but wouldnt this all get stripped in a bit of time.....im new to the driveline can someone explain how the driveshaft grips the tcase and why it can just sit in there and move around as well.and work always 100%

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
cause it is magic

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if its magic then why doesnt my stock system turn into a SYE and CV

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
can someone explain to me why a driveshaft can just sit in a tcase and work,it doesnt have to be secured solid.meaning its just in there not really attached.i know the shaft has some grooves to grip the inside but wouldnt this all get stripped in a bit of time.....im new to the driveline can someone explain how the driveshaft grips the tcase and why it can just sit in there and move around as well.and work always 100%
Believe it or not the drive shaft would twist and break before the splines would strip. Well maybe u-joint would go first. The more splines the better the gripping force. The strength of the metal plays into this as well.

We take for granted how much engineering has gone into the creation of metals and coming up with a way to connect two big hunks of metal together but still allow them to slide back and forth.

Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wouldnt be as strong because of the fact that it has fewer splines.

Lots of things play into the strength of splines, such as:

-Depth
-Number
-Pressure angle
-Method of splining
-Metal and additional process used on it (if you used 8620 and it's heat treated and case hardend, it will be stronger than 1541, duh)

There is entire books devoted to the subject of a splined interface.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Spline count has to do with surface area... if you look at it yeah bigger, deeper splines look stronger but strength comes from how much metal is actually touching metal.. extreme 4x4 did a blown up drawing of it on one of their episodes that explained it pretty well.. but yeah.. surface area.. more splines, more surface area, more strength! =p

·
Registered
444 Posts
And Kyle's right, the tubing will twist off or your'll break a u-joint before you'll strip the splines out.. I've made a few driveshafts and they're literally 3" exhaust tubing..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
great thanks.......

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you're wondering why it doesn't just fall out on the ground, it's because it's too long.

Take a toothpick, pencil, ink pen, lug wrench, or 2 x 4 board and hold it by the ends. Now place both hands on a firm surface, like a table, one hand along an edge of the surface. Slide the hand on the edge along it while holding that end of your toothpick (axle end) and letting the other end (your t-case end) slip between your fingers lentghwise. Over a short distance it stays between your fingers, but if it moves too far (broken suspension) it will pull out of the other fingers (t-case).

HTH

Budd

1 - 17 of 17 Posts