Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been looking into these, for a gain in ride quality. But i think i may have a problem i am at 6.5" of lift and have Rusty's lower control arms for 6.5" (fixed). And extended stock Uppers.

Will drop brackets works with the rusty's arms? Since they have the bend in them. Im not worried about the top since i will have to get new ones anyways, right? or can stock uppers be ran at 6.5 with Drop brackets?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I know this doesnt answer your question but I would just go with LA's at this point because you are going to need the uppers and the DB's which are getting very close to what a set of LA's would cost you. Especially if the lowers wont work.
Ditto.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
ok i have been looking into these, for a gain in ride quality. But i think i may have a problem i am at 6.5" of lift and have Rusty's lower control arms for 6.5" (fixed). And extended stock Uppers.

Will drop brackets works with the rusty's arms? Since they have the bend in them. Im not worried about the top since i will have to get new ones anyways, right? or can stock uppers be ran at 6.5 with Drop brackets?
I run the drop brackets with RC's adjustable lowers and still have my stock upper control arms.

I don't see why rusty's arms wouldn't work with the stock uppers. They might hang down a bit but would work. How long are they? Are they anywhere close to 15.75" ? I think that's the stock lower arm length. I have my lower arms set at 16" and all the way back in the slot on the drop brackets. The pinion angle is dead on 0 and i didn't care too much to measure the caster. It drives just fine. If rusty's lower arms are longer than 16.5", then you may run into caster/pinion angle problems if you use stock uppers. Gotta find out the length of your rusty's lower arms.

The cost of upgrading to long arms would be around $600-$900 and maybe more depending on the brand. The cost of adding a drop bracket kit with adjustable or fixed uppers would be slightly less than $400. Either kit would help with your angles and flex, plus ride quality. Long arms would be the ideal setup to aim for but the DB would help too so it comes down to $$ you want to save or spend.

For instance:

Long arms upgrade:

RE:
Lower Long arms plus crossmember kit : $1164

Rusty's:

Lower long arms, upper arms, crossmember bracket: $829

Rock Krawler's long arm upgrade: $799

Drop bracket upgrade:

RC drop brackets plus rusty's (i chose rusty's cuz that's what you have for the lowers) upper adjustables : $360

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
right i just dont have the cash for the LA's im still in college ya know

and i dont know if the rusty's lowers will work or not

they look like this

Rustys Offroad: Fixed Front Lower Control Arm (XJ,TJ)

notice the bend???
Yeah i've seen some guys over on naxja run bent arms on the drop brackets. It works for them. Go search Jeepforum or naxja and you'll find a few of them running what you want.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The bend has nothing to do with it, other than decreasing your ground clearance. It's the length of the arms that may or may not be a problem.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
The bend has nothing to do with it, other than decreasing your ground clearance. It's the length of the arms that may or may not be a problem.
Ya that was my thinking, im assuming those arms arent adjustable?

·
Registered
444 Posts
DB's helped my old XJ a TON!!!!!!! with ride, with flex, only thing i didn't like about them is when i would be out crawlin around doin my offroad thing they would get hung up.. case and point, there was a down tree across the trail maybe 33-35in in diameter, that was about 6in up off the ground.. got my front wheels over it, slid down my LCAs then down over my DBs and onto my frame rail.. i needed to reverse to get a better line over the tree but i was hung up on my LCAs... ended up high centered and had to winch forward.. i might have a pic lol
yup found it haha.. we tried going backwards first but that was a no go.. so ended up winching forward

·
Registered
25 Posts
I plan to do drops on mine soon. Just remember if you go with fixed length arms you need arms speced for 4" less lift that actual. Adjustable arms would be best so that you can adjust caster, and pinion angles.

Why do LA people always complain that Drops cause you to loose ground clearence? From what I can see they dont hang done any lower than any long Arm kit I have evr seen. IMO Long Arms would bottom out well before a short arm rig ever would

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I plan to do drops on mine soon. Just remember if you go with fixed length arms you need arms speced for 4" less lift that actual. Adjustable arms would be best so that you can adjust caster, and pinion angles.

Why do LA people always complain that Drops cause you to loose ground clearence? From what I can see they dont hang done any lower than any long Arm kit I have evr seen. IMO Long Arms would bottom out well before a short arm rig ever would
They actually do hang down a little bit more than LA's. I was at 4wd hardware two days ago and noticed this when checking out a xj with RE's long arm kit. The biggest problem i see with the drop brackets on my xj is backing up over a log or rock. It has a good chance of getting stuck on the brackets(like shown in the picture). RE's drop bracket kit may fare better since it has a "ramp" behind the bracket compared to rough country's goofy-designed RCX logo support bracket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They actually do hang down a little bit more than LA's. I was at 4wd hardware two days ago and noticed this when checking out a xj with RE's long arm kit. The biggest problem i see with the drop brackets on my xj is backing up over a log or rock. It has a good chance of getting stuck on the brackets(like shown in the picture). RE's drop bracket kit may fare better since it has a "ramp" behind the bracket compared to rough country's goofy-designed RCX logo support bracket.
Good point, I don't like the Rough Country support either. I would do Rocky road (same price) or RE more money but appear stonger. But I still think the LA's would hit on the log, but yes you would be less likely to hang up, due to the ramping effect.
My other issue with LA's is that short arms are more stable on the highway. If my rig was trail more than DD I would lean to LA.. But with the majority of the time on pavement, I'm more in favor of staying with short arms.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I don't know about that. I find that LA's make a huge difference in on-road driving. I feel that they make the vehicle feel more stable and they handle better, while also making bumps and potholes easier to take because they're less jarring. I've driven my friend's LJ when he had a 4.5" SA, and I've driven it after he went to a LA kit and what a huge difference.

I personally would rather go with LA's then to keep a SA kit because both on and offroad the rig will handle better.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My other issue with LA's is that short arms are more stable on the highway.
You've been reading too much of that horsecrap on RRO's website. LAs are every bit as stable on the highway as short arms, and they ride better too (compared to short arms w/o drop brackets).

·
Registered
25 Posts
You've been reading too much of that horsecrap on RRO's website. LAs are every bit as stable on the highway as short arms, and they ride better too (compared to short arms w/o drop brackets).
Actually RRO website is mostly crap. As far as the OFF road abilities but ON road they are correct. I had LA's on my ZJ at 4.5" of lift and it was smother but NOT more stable then the short arms on the highway. I have ridden in or driven several other LA rigs of different MFG's. They did tend to be more wallowy and tend to track the groves and cracks more. I will admit I haven't had the chance to drive an XJ with LA's, maybe they are different. I have drive a 6" XJ on Drops and it handled nearly as well as stock. except in high speed corners, due to raised COG. So, IMO and experience Drop are better on a DD rig that is 75% or more use on pavement. Since my rig runs 80% on the freeway a more stable suspension wins out over flex. If the rig were to be more trail focused I would go with LA's, no question.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Sometimes the total axle width plays a role in stability. One jeep may have stock backspacing and feel unstable while the other having 3.75" backspacing and feel firm and stable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts