Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I've seen a buddy put the second battery in the cargo area before. Thats a lot of cable to run though. If I were to do it, I'd put it where the factory air filter box is, obviously after installing either a cowl snorkel or true snorkel. There's enough room to do that, but some would say you'd have to reinforce the radiator cross member to support the extra weight up front.... I'd say you'd be alright just adding in the new battery tray with no further reinforcement.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Right, either up front opposite the factory battery, or back in the cargo area, with either a sealed battery or a vent to the outside.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Both of mine were in the cargo area, but now I am moving them to under the back seat

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
On my buddies jeep we used a 0 gauge amp kit off Amazon 17 ft like 23 bucks not the greatest wire but had worked for years

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Where do you get your cables?
If you remember I just made mine. For the regular battery install.
HF Crimper. Bought all my cable from my store. But got my lugs from here:

I got it in my head that using 45 and 90 degree ones here and there would make for a cleaner install.
For some reason I could not find any to buy locally. Not even through my store. Straight ones not a problem.
They sell cable pretty reasonable too.

As far as the HF Crimper goes I thought it worked OK.
But it does make funny crimps. Not round like more expensive ones. Kinda flat.
One guy blasted me for using it. Maybe he was right. Time will tell.
Some shots of the crimps for you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
The prices are pretty good. I'm looking to move my winch controller from on top of my winch to somewhere safer like under my hood. I learned a long time ago, looks don't make them run, so they don't have to be pretty, they just have to work.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The prices are pretty good. I'm looking to move my winch controller from on top of my winch to somewhere safer like under my hood. I learned a long time ago, looks don't make them run, so they don't have to be pretty, they just have to work.
There is another place but when it came to the lugs they make you buy 5 at a time.

They also sell everything else you would need.
Remy does charge shipping though in some, maybe all, instances.
Not sure about DelCity.
So you do have to take that into account.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
I used del city when I rewired my buddy's 56 Ford. If I'm not mistaken, shipping was reasonable.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Where do you get your cables?
I used welding cable. You can b;uy it in bulk lengths in red and black and then solder or crimp on fittings

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Be careful though, sometimes its cheaper to buy a long set of decent battery jumper cables and remove the ends. Depends on the cable you want/length you need.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Be careful though, sometimes its cheaper to buy a long set of decent battery jumper cables and remove the ends. Depends on the cable you want/length you need.
I've thought of that, but some cheaper jumper cables are copper coated aluminum. So you have to do your research.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I used 00 cable so it would handle the winch load, which on a Warn can climb to 800 amps on hard pulls. I have to admit though, I had the cable on a welder already that I haven't used since I welded an exhaust manifold ten years ago. But if I was to do it again, I would buy fresh cable off Amazon

Reactions: Gluckmysock
1 - 14 of 14 Posts