Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i have a big leak near my manifold but i cant tell if its cracked or if its a gasket or if there a hole in my exhaust pipe. its very loud. i wouldnt think just a cracked mani would be this loud?
and is there a easy way to remove the mani without disturbing the intake?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd say park it in a dark garage, start it up and let it get to temp, then rev the piss out of it while watching, you might be able to see flames or sparks coming from the bad gasket area and/or crack. That's just an easy way to try and find it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say park it in a dark garage, start it up and let it get to temp, then rev the piss out of it while watching, you might be able to see flames or sparks coming from the bad gasket area and/or crack. That's just an easy way to try and find it.
is there a way to induce smoke?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just did that. its the manifold for sure :(
im taking it off now. is there a way around the intake or do i have to remove it also?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
i just did that. its the manifold for sure :(
im taking it off now. is there a way around the intake or do i have to remove it also?
Intake and exhaust manifold share the SAME bolts to the head.

I was told that taking the head off is the only way to get the intake and exhaust back on with the proper torque. I just tighted the piss out of mine when I changed the exhaust manifold. Runs fine and I still have the same bad gas mileage. lol

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to remove the intake manifold in order to get the exhaust manifold off.

Mine is cracked as well, seems to be typical of the XJ's.
wow i was afraid so this is gunna take a few hours

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend that's done a few of these has said that it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours depending on how diligently you work, and how many bolts give you a hard time.
both manifolds are un done i just have to und do the exhaust at the flange and try to wiggle it out or completely remove the intake too. its not as bad as i thought but the bottom bolts will be hard getting back in. this would be caqke on a 2wd from below but the diff blocks everything. hopefully i can weld it otherwise i gotta hop in the mustang and drive 20 miles to the bone yard and pull one thats probably cracked too

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
From what I've read, welding is a good solution, however it ends up cracking again soon after in the areas around the weld. The weld becomes the strong point, and so since the manifold is already old and in poor condition, it will continue to crack. You may want to replace the manifold with one that is either not cracked or an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I've read, welding is a good solution, however it ends up cracking again soon after in the areas around the weld. The weld becomes the strong point, and so since the manifold is already old and in poor condition, it will continue to crack. You may want to replace the manifold with one that is either not cracked or an aftermarket one.
omg u gotta see these pics this thing is toasted! its actually melted!!:brickwall:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
here they are i geuss there no point welding this,lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im off to the boneyard fellas maybe ill get this done by dark:)

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
You got a little bit of a crack there.....:rofl:

Are your motor mounts ok?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
picked up a less cracked one for $16 i pulled 3 and they all were cracked pretty bad. so im going to solve the problem and fab up a real header. any issues with by pasing the egr? i can make a header work with or without it.
i also picked up some lift shackles off a ranger to use with my 2.5" ford blocks in the rear. woot woot!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You got a little bit of a crack there.....:rofl:

Are your motor mounts ok?
why? flexing against the exhaust? hmm im lost.

anyway im gunna weld up my newer less cracked one today. wish i had steel to make flanges and tubes to make a header.i know this will crack again after i weld it. i pulled 3 manifolds all cracked. i wonder if i can get a 4.0 on and hack it up and weld it instead of making one from scratch for my 2.5
who makes a steel header? i cant find one anywhere on the net

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
progress far getting ready to weld and grind some more. im gunna plaster this thing with new metal :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
first welds
im going to cover the entire face to prevent further cracking

1 - 20 of 29 Posts