Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to switch pulleys anyone on here ever do this? im removing a 2.8l v6 v belt one and need my 2.5l v belt one on it. my pump isnt fixable.no 2.5s in the junkyards anywhere so i got a v6 one and switched all the brackets. same pump just diff pulley and mounting bracket. im dying for ps!:bow:

·
Registered
607 Posts
You will need a power steering pump pully puller. Yes - it's a "special" tool, but it's also fairly inexpensive as 'special tools' go.

It grabs onto the flange at the centre of the pully, instead of to the rim. Reason for that is the pully is pressed on rather solidly, and you'll likely turn it inside out if you grab the outside rim.

Installation of the pully is usually done with a 3/8"-16 screw, some flat washers, and a nut to fit the screw. Suggest you coat the outside of the shaft with never-seez - it will be some small help putting the new pully on, and it will come off easier next time as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need a power steering pump pully puller. Yes - it's a "special" tool, but it's also fairly inexpensive as 'special tools' go.

It grabs onto the flange at the centre of the pully, instead of to the rim. Reason for that is the pully is pressed on rather solidly, and you'll likely turn it inside out if you grab the outside rim.

Installation of the pully is usually done with a 3/8"-16 screw, some flat washers, and a nut to fit the screw. Suggest you coat the outside of the shaft with never-seez - it will be some small help putting the new pully on, and it will come off easier next time as well.
so the screw is just used to instal it without banging it on right?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a PITA...I swapped from the v-belt to the serp belt when I did my engine swap.
what engine did you swap in there carl? are you talking about your 85 chief?.
i just couldnt find a 2.5 power steering set up since most are serp but mines v belt

·
Registered
303 Posts
Both the 85 Chief and the 84 Waggy have PS in it. The Chief had vbelt while the Waggy had serp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you can go to auto zone or advance and "rent" one. it is like a 50 dollar deposit to get the puller kit, and when you are done just take it back and they give you your money back...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can go to auto zone or advance and "rent" one. it is like a 50 dollar deposit to get the puller kit, and when you are done just take it back and they give you your money back...
yeah thats what i was going to do

1 - 9 of 9 Posts