Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, they aren't really 'el cheapo' since they're chinese. But, not being as cultured as I could be, I do not know the correct term for cheap chinese junk.

Anyways, a couple of vendors on pirate are selling 50A or so plasma cutters.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696011

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539511

And there's others.

They are very attractively priced. And the units basically appear to be all about the same between brands - even if the vendors claim otherwise.

Should I? I'm torn on if it'll turn into way more of a hassle than it is worth... But, for the amount of cutting disks I go through I could probably 'pay off' the unit in about a year. That is, providing I ever get more time off work to actually work on my piles...

·
Registered
324 Posts
They look like they are most likely the same manufacturer as the Harbor Freight unit which is priced right around the same price. None of those units have a built in air source, so they would need to be connected to your air compressor

The BAD spelling and grammar on the second site you link would scare me away from doing business with that particular company.

But you have to ask, just how much cutting am I going to do??
I also would LOVE to get a plasma cutter. But I can't justify spending the money with the amount I would use it.

If you are only going to use a handful of times of during the year, or on a couple of projects you are working on, these machines will most likely fill your need. But these aren't production grade machines.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neither of the companies are overly professional, I can guarantee that. But they both had good pirate reviews for the most part. If they didn't piss off the populance of pirate, then they have to be at least decent.

I can also get one locally, which also looks exactly the same, but for more money. When I factor in exchange, shipping, brokerage, it's probably not much different.

I dunno what the HF one is like, again, probably similar... No HF here, so I'd have to get it shipped anyways.

And if one of these things works decently, I'd probably use it about as much as my MIG. Which is, pretty much every day that I work on one of my piles. Being able to just rip all my brackets out of 1/4" or 5/16" sheet instead of having to use flat bar and then burn through cutting disks to get it how I life would be an instant bonus. Also, I'm not done cutting up my '90 yet. It's actually fairly time consuming using a grinder and a sawzall, and there's a bunch of cuts in the rear that it actually matters how they come out.

I have shop air, that's not a problem.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking about it, I think it would end up being more BS then it is worth... If I have to ship a machine back to the states, I will be eating cost regardless, and given that the dealers seem a little less than professional, I think I could easily be put in a bit of a bind.

And besides, it's cheap chinese junk. Regardless of the hype.

Unfortunatly, now I've got myself all pumped on the idea of getting a plasma.

Gonna see if I can get some quotes on:
Miller 375 (Should be about $1400 local, but I've been there before)
EASB HandyPlasma 380 (dunno who the ESAB dealer is...)
Hypertherm Powermax 30

Ah well. Guess christmas is coming up. Maybe I can convince the family to help pay my addiction to fancy tools?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Thinking about it, I think it would end up being more BS then it is worth... If I have to ship a machine back to the states, I will be eating cost regardless, and given that the dealers seem a little less than professional, I think I could easily be put in a bit of a bind.

And besides, it's cheap chinese junk. Regardless of the hype.

Unfortunatly, now I've got myself all pumped on the idea of getting a plasma.

Gonna see if I can get some quotes on:
Miller 375 (Should be about $1400 local, but I've been there before)
EASB HandyPlasma 380 (dunno who the ESAB dealer is...)
Hypertherm Powermax 30

Ah well. Guess christmas is coming up. Maybe I can convince the family to help pay my addiction to fancy tools?
sell jeep parts, buy tools :)

that's the only way i get my tools. recycling rules! :rock:

If i were in your shoes, i'd give it a try. I'm not much for name brands. I like stuff that gets the job done and is also cheap. For instance, i have a ton of tools from harbor freight that do the job just like expensive snap-on tools do. I have a cut off wheel, dremel, and impact gun from HF that i use very often and they never failed. When i first asked about getting these, i was told just save for the name brand and don't risk wastin your money but these tools paid for themselves and still do the job well.

If the tool you are considering is a tool you need everyday, then i'd suggest name brands because they probably are built to last longer, or forever. If it's like 3 or 4 times a year, than the lesser brands do just fine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I'm going to use 'er like a, okay, I won't say what. But, since I've mentioned buying one I've already got 'friends' coming out of the woodwork asking when they can stop by my place - that is, after I get a plasma... So, I think it will wind up being like my MIG welder, being glad I spent every penny I did on it.

Oh, I wish I could sell my extra jeep parts. I'm sitting on no less than 3 D44 fronts, an AX-15, a couple 'zu rears (really good axles, too bad I can't convince anyone else of that), and who knows what else...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts