Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996 Orvis Edition. I have noticed that the parking break doesn’t work on it. Funny story the way I realized this is that me and my buddy were riding down the road and he pointed out that my emergency brake was up. But I had no problem driving. Of course I took it off as soon as possible but the thing is it didn’t work at all. It didn’t slow me down or have any resistance whatsoever. So if anyone has any ideas on why it’s not working or how to fix it the information would be much appreciated. Ps try and keep it a little simple I’m still kind of new to working on cars. Thank you ton!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Chances are you will need to adjust your drum brakes properly. Sometimes the hardware in there gets installed backwards or slips out of place. Sometimes they just come out of adjustment.

If you can pull the parking brake handle easily, yet it springs back, at least that means that your cables are good. Theres plenty of info out there on how to adjust drum brakes. Try that and report back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts