Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just signed up to the forums. I need help troubleshooting a few issues.

Main problem. My jeep is dead. It's a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The engine cranks but there's no start. It was running fine, but as soon as I turned into the local gas station, it just died. The engine cranks, but won't start. I suspect it's the fuel pump or filter since it did sit for a few months without being driven. It has had a history of electrical oddities, like when it would start and stop and lock the doors on its own with no key in the ignition.. So I tried jiggling the fuse box under the hood, swapping out the fuel pump relay with another known working relay.. no dice.

Another thing is that it makes this clicking sound when I turn the key on, and a few seconds after. It sounds like the blinkers are on, or the hazard lights, but the hazard lights work and those make their own entirely separate sound. I can hear them AND the mystery clicking going on at the same time.

Next issue is the parking brake. It doesn't work. I've tried diagnosing it myself but haven't gotten anywhere on it.

The backstory on this thing is that I got a Jeep for free, 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, crappy gold, 2wd, newish engine. I drove that for a while but then I found another jeep, same year and model, way nicer condition, 4wd, dead engine. It sounded like throwing a bunch of coins down an up-escalator. Anyways I bought the thing for $500. My step dad and some neighbors and friends all helped swap the engines over. It ran fine for a while, but I work out of state and leave the Jeep sitting for months at a time. So this Jeep doesn't get as much love as it deserves. But I do have a whole nother Jeep sitting in my back yard for parts.

I am not a mechanic... But I do have a garage with tools and a swamp cooler.

So that's where I'm at. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I looked up the code and it says crank position sensor. And that's located above the transmission, up near the firewall, on the driver's side? I haven't been able to locate it and see it yet. But rooting around, I see a few things are disconnected. These are on the passenger side, behind the oil filter.

Arm Sunglasses Sleeve Gesture Finger
Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have answered your own question. Congrats on that. The CPS going out is typical. If you haven't bought it already, get a genuine Mopar sensor. They cost more, but they last longer than a few months like the rest of the Chinese crap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I got the new part. I ordered it from Rock auto, "standard brand" I taped the wire shield to the new part, slotted it in from under the hood, and ran the bolt through the hole under the driver's side dash. Lucky me the bolt was still wedged in the socket, so that made things easier.

Anyways it fires right up now.

I found the source of the clicking sound. It's this Prosecurity RK1. Looks like an aftermarket remote starter.

Idk, is it supposed to be clicking? I'm thinking it might be better to just remove the thing. Whole jumble of wires under the driver's dash.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went ahead and started unplugging anything that looked jank/aftermarket. I had to snip a few wires that looked spliced in, and covered the ends with liquid electrical tape.

Here's what I ended up with. Not sure what it all is but I think it's all aftermarket remote starter bs from the early 2000s that is niche, hard to get any information on for diagnostic purposes, and probably no customer support.

I don't need remote start, this probably solves the issue where my Jeep decides to start on it's own with no key in the ignition, and it's no longer clicking.

If anybody wants any of this stuff let me know. You can have it for free if you're near Las Vegas, or if you want to pay for shipping.
Circuit component Electronic engineering Electronic component Electrical wiring Cable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts