Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I posted something about this before but I really need to fix this problem. Its an 88, 4.0L with 233000 miles and I just replaced just about everything you can. I did a complete tune up, meaning plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and oil change along with map sensor, IAC ,factory EGR valve, TPS, and O2 sensor. While doing the tune up I also did the valve cvr gskt and cleaned the crap out of it and the pots. I tried adding an octane additive and the higher drade gas but its still there on occassion. Is there anyone that can make a suggestion. Please help and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
444 Posts
when you say something pings that means that your not running a high enough octane fuel to cope with your compression..
if your rig has 233K you should be having the opposite of high compression issues..

X2 with boyesreef..
you might take a look at your timing set.. if those are worn out you won't be able to accurately set your timing..

·
Registered
47 Posts
An 88 should still have a typical distributor. While it may be adjusted by the computer, it still needs to be set to factory specs for the computer to be able to adjust it properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I talked to a jeep tech today about timing it and he told me that it can't be timed. The dist. has two tabs that wont allow you to spin it. The timing works off the CPS. He told me to replace the temp sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts