Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just recently my engine has been cutting out. It happens after warming up and normally at stops/idle. lately the engine dies then comes back on with a small surge in revs and is ok, but the other day it did that then about 1/4 mile later dies and would not restart! went back about 7 hrs later after work and it started fine. I don't believe its a fuel problem, seems more a charging or starting system problem. Any diagnoses? THanks

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
It almost sounds like your CPS (crank shaft positioning sensor). My jeep used to randomly die or would just cut out and almost die. I replaced it and it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, sounds like the CPS had the same thing happen to me. It started out dying while at idle every once in a while. I thought it might be the ignition coil getting hot and shorting out so I replaced that. It didn't get any better and actually started dying while I was driving down the road so the CPS was the next thing on the list, after that was replaced it ran great.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Does it do it when you are on the throttle or only during idle? When it dies, does it fire back up or will it not start? Have you tried giving it some throttle and see if it still dies?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts