Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1987 XJ 4.0 and wanting to install this gauge but not sure if I’m supposed to install it in the thermostat housing or the back of the head. Also how should I wire the light up that came with it? Thanks in advance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
The T-stat housing is what the ECM uses to turn the Aux fan on and off. The one in the rear of the head is for a light. If you want to put a temp gauge in, you have to change the rear sensor to a sending unit.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
How do I go about doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To change to a sending unit is just replacing the rear temp sensor with the sending unit. Installing the aftermarket gauge is much more involved. I replaced my dash cluster to get gauges and get rid of the idiot lights. Search for gauge cluster and you will get ton of results. If you replace the cluster you will also need a sending unit for the oil pressure. The sending units just screw into where the original sensors were.
You can search for temp gauge install and get lots of results. I did install a tranny temp gauge, but that's a little different than what you are looking to do, here is a link to my transmission gauge install,Transmission Temp Gauge Install. Here is a link to my build thread, Gemini Build thread, but for some reason, all my pics are gone. :mad::mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts