Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys at Emissions told me the my Evaporative System failed because it had a disconnected vacuum line. After they pointed it out, it was easy to see a dangling line above the Evap Can.

I just got done replacing the hose, but i can't seem to figure out where it plugs into the Can. The hose comes from the line at green hose clamp, next to the red wire, in the pic below...

It runs along the firewall to the can. Where is it supposed to go on the can?

Anybody wanna go take a look at your rig when you get a chance?

Thanks in advance!
:bow:

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still drawing a total blank on this one...

I'm beginning to wonder if it's supposed to go somewhere else?
:unsure:

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody? :confuse12:

TOUGH CROWD!!!
:brickwall:

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
I'll go take a picture of mine in a sec.

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
Just to clarify, are you talking about the flex line or the hard line?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The one that I am refering to goes from the D/S of the engine steel line to a rubber hose that heads tword the evap can and I don't know what it hooks to. There are two rubber lines hooked up to the canister, those I'm ok with, but there is this 3rd hose that I have no idea, and I think the original poster has the same exact issue.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one that I am refering to goes from the D/S of the engine steel line to a rubber hose that heads tword the evap can and I don't know what it hooks to. There are two rubber lines hooked up to the canister, those I'm ok with, but there is this 3rd hose that I have no idea, and I think the original poster has the same exact issue.
Yupp... that's the one!

4 hardlines come from the gas tank, along the drivers side frame rail, up the firewall and get buried behind the master cylinder.

That's where i lose track of the path.

The hardline comes from behind the master cylinder and then connects to a rubber line...

And goes somewhere important enough to where the XJ fails the Evap Can Test at emissions.
:brickwall:

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
good, now i can take my heep to get inspected

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Excuse me if this post doesn't make a lick of sense... i just got done smoking an entire Swisher Sweets cigar, i'm all dizzy and my face is still pretty green.

I unhooked the "T" hose connector near the gas tank at the Rollover Valve, and i blew smoke through the mystery hose. The smoke came out of the disconnected hoses, so at least i have THAT answer now!

That said, how is the line from the tank supposed to connect to the Evap Can when there's only 2 ports. The smaller port on the Can goes to the intake and plugs in right in front and below the Shrader valve on the fuel rail, and the larger line goes to the air cleaner...

:blink:

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ironically, the Catalyst Sticker is TOTALLY different on the firewall my '95 XJ... :rolleyes:

So now i'm off to the J/Y to try to locate the goofy looking hose with the 90* that plugs into the "orifice", and hook it up and go get smogged!
:bannana:

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
good luck, let us know how it turns out jim. btw i still havent ben able to pass inspection, n its been oh boy :blink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you found out anything mine is having the same problem

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, and my Jeep passed emissions.

Come to find out, the Vapor Hose from the Hardline on the firewall that goes to the Evap Can was missing...

What year is your Jeep?

Just asking because the +"97 models have a Leak Detector Pump (LDP), that is also a common culprit.

:dunno:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is a 95 also. If you would could you tell me where all your lines run from the canister. I know the tank line goes to the right, where does your bigger main line that goes to the driver side go? (Mine is hooked to the intake) and where does your top small line run to? Mine also runs to the driver side but not sure where to plug it in. Your help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Mine is a 95 also. If you would could you tell me where all your lines run from the canister. I know the tank line goes to the right, where does your bigger main line that goes to the driver side go? (Mine is hooked to the intake) and where does your top small line run to? Mine also runs to the driver side but not sure where to plug it in. Your help would be appreciated thanks.
The smaller line on top of Can should be a hard plastic line that plugs into the port which 'T's in with the fuel pressure regulator on the Intake,

The larger middle line goes to the air cleaner,

And the "orifice" is on the right side of the lid portion of the can... and this line will connect to the metal hardline that starts at the firewall near the master cylinder, and runs down the frame rail to the gas tank.

The pretty pink pencil is pointing to the "orifice port"...

A better pic of the port, and the catalyst diagram is in the above post #12.

Hope this helps.
;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks a bunch, that clarifies alot. The P.O had changed out the motor with a 96 or 97 and it didn't run right so I have been changing everything fuel wise back to 95 so now I need to find a 95 air box for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts