Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 6cyl
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 XJ 4.0

When I start the car, alot of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. For awhile too. When I'm driving, I've been getting bad headaches. I'm thinking it's the exhaust going back into the cabin somehow?
I replaced my O2 sensor months ago.

What could be the issue and how can I fix it? Would replacing the intake manifold/exhaust gasket fix that?

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
If your exhaust gasket leaked, it would be making racket. does your exhaust go all the way to the back bumper?

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
OK, I assume there are no leaks in the pipe. It is intact isn't it? How is your rear hatch gasket?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This video doesn't really show how much smoke usually comes out. Yes the pipe seems to be intact.

I haven't checked the rear hatch gasket, I honestly didn't know that existed 😬

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
When you do a cold start, if you look underneath, you can check for leaks. You'll see the same white smoke (moisture burning off in the exhaust) coming from the culprit location.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
If you take a shop rag and plug up the exhaust tailpipe for a few seconds, you will see if you have any leaks. I would do it with the hood open to check the manifold. but only for a few seconds. Exhaust is nothing to mess with, And it will definitely give you headaches.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks it sounds like its running a bit rough? Maybe missing even.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a mechanic mention that it could maybe be oil dripping onto the exhaust pipe? I need to get a new gasket for my oil pan, transmission pan, and the intake manifold.
I definitely have oil leaking at the moment

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Park it on a clean surface or throw a tarp under it to locate drips. Then crawl under later (like the next day) and look to see if its contacting the exhaust. My bet is that its not oil on the exhaust pipe. For you to smell it that way, it would be a good amount of oil. More of a stream than a drip.

Since your purchasing this Jeep, I think you win the prize for most questions and issues ever asked in the history of this forum. Everytime I get on there's a new question.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I had a mechanic mention that it could maybe be oil dripping onto the exhaust pipe? I need to get a new gasket for my oil pan, transmission pan, and the intake manifold.
I definitely have oil leaking at the moment
If that's what your mechanic states, then you need to find a new mechanic cause they're incompetent. That white smoke is moisture. Oil would look blue if it was being burned, and surely if its dripping onto the exhaust, it wouldn't be going through the system out the exhaust pipe.

Although if you have oil covering the bottom of your jeep, definitely time to find and fix the leaks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lmao indeed I do have alot of questions. I just want to make sure this thing is safe. Especially with everything that's gone on with it.

I feel like when I have the heater on as well it makes it worse. What would be coming through the heater core?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts