Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have an easy question. I was crawling around under the Jeep a minute ago and noticed something interesting. Just below the collector flange on the exhaust was a huge dent in the downpipe. When I say huge, I mean the dent is reducing my 2 1/4" pipe down to like a 1" pipe!!! It almost looks like someone took a hammer and beat the pipe. Its close to the front driveshaft but I am pretty sure there is no way that the front driveshaft came up close enough to hit the pipe. ANy Ideas? Can I go to autozone or something and find a donut/flange that will bolt up to the header. I was thinking of just piecing an exhaust together and welding it up at work one weekend. Also, can I just take out the 02 sensor after the cat and zip tie it to the floor somewhere? Ive seen lots of civic guys do that to their #2 sensors when they dont want to run cats. Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, here is what went down. I decided to put a straight pipe in place of the cat. Turns out the pipe coming from the collector isn't the same as the pipe at the exhaust tip. measured 2 1/4" at the back. I cannot find any pipes at Autozone or Advance that fit the stock downpipe...guess im running open exhaust until I can figure this out. Anybody know what size that downpipe is? None of the couplings I found fit it. 2 1/4" ID coupling too small. 2 1/2" ID coupling too large.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup, just drove up to the red box with no muffler. Pissed off a guy in a z71 with flow masters because he couldn't hear his truck anymore. That was awesome.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought a 2 1/2" cutout, used a reducer to flow into the muffler. No cat. No problems. Everything is being welded up tonight or tomorrow. Im designing a vacuum valve for the exhaust dump. Should be easier than an electric valve to install and more reliable.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's not our ticket, it's yours!:p I know that here in Oregon it's not a fix it ticket but rather a hefty fine. I doubt you'll ever be caught unless you live somewhere that has emission laws and vehicle inspections.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive never lived anywhere where you have inspections. I can burn my trash in the front yard if I wanted to.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ive never lived anywhere where you have inspections. I can burn my trash in the front yard if I wanted to.
WOW. I think my HOA would have something to say about that! :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, those HOA's are the reason why I don't like neighborhoods. I understand people want to protect their investments, but there is no investment like acreage. The benefits of owning cheaper land, and alot of it, outway the benefits of living in a HOA type neighborhood....IMHO

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll agree that HOAs can be bad deals. Mine is pretty rational. It's a new neighborhood and everybody keeps it nice, but the HOA is hardly ever even heard from. Not one of the radical ones for sure. Just keeping dumptrucks off of peoples yards and no cars up on stands...

I've had zero problems working on my projects in the driveway. As long as they aren't there forever they are cool.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my mother has an hoa that calls the city police anytime someone parks a car on a curb. My brother got a ticket for parking on his own mother's curb. What bull crap.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That dent is there from the factory for drive shaft clearance. I wouldn't think the engine would run right without the o2 sensor taking a reading for the computer to run the right air fuel mixture.
thats a surprise? I know my shaft has slammed the downpipe a few times lol. It crinkled it up and cracked the pipe.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is so much room in there, I wonder why they didn't just design the manifold collector to be 1 inch closer to the block, then you wouldn't have to do that dimple thing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My buddy welded the exhaust up wednesday. Sounds like a cadillac now.....until I uncap it....then its completely obnoxious.....i love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts