Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am hoping somebody can clarify a few things for me. My FSM says to reverse flush it, which makes sense, and I want to be sure I am understanding things properly.
So is the tranny line from the top of the radiator to the back of the tranny is the return line?
I pretty sure I know the answer but need somebody to tell me I am right. LOL.
So that line is in 2 pieces with the quick connect.
From my Jeep. Shot 1.

From the boneyard Jeep.
Shots 2 through 4.

So Jeep in an uncharacteristic moment of being logical looks like they made it so if a Jeep from the factory came with the cooler this one short hose, with the quick connect on one end and using a hose clamp on the other made it so just by splicing in this line with the tranny cooler could get it on there without having to use a whole different return line.
Does that sound correct?
Shot 5.

So another thing that has been confusing me. I have read a bunch of tranny cooler threads and one thing they seem to have in common is that you feed into the bottom of the cooler and out from the top.
Gets air out. And if I am right about the tranny line off the top of the radiator being the return line that seems to follow suit.
But here is the thing. The factory tranny cooler as it would be on the Jeep.
Shot 6.

So the rubber line that is spliced in is secured to the lower inlet, with a hose clamp, but that is really the top of the tranny cooler.
Shot 7.

And the upper inlet, which is coming out the bottom of the tranny cooler, is where the line that goes to the rear of the tranny connects too.
Shot 8.

So it is not feeding through the bottom and coming out the top.
Is that correct?
Cause I do want to make sure I reverse flush and need to know for sure what inlet to hook up to.

Which brings another thing. We sell this flush in the store. But it comes with this screw on connector. For the life of me I could not figure out how to use it.
I mean what does the screw connector fit?
Shots 9 and 10.

Then it occurred to me. A short piece of 5/16" brake screws right in. Some hose and hose clamps and you get this.
Shot 11.

Also will work with the short piece of tranny line for the cooler.
Shot 12.

Now assuming I am right and all you need is that short piece spliced into the existing tranny line I will most likely buy a new piece.
Oh and I was trying to take these shots tranny fluid kept on coming out of the cooler still. Actually looks pretty red. One of the reasons I grabbed this one.
Fins looked in good shape. Not rusted at all. And the black paint, which is flaking off every time I touch it (LOL), is in really good shape.
Or what is left of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Well you've got me a little confused this time Ralph. Why are you putting a '99 cooler into your 2000? And why worry about which way to flush it? Hell, flush it both ways until you feel its clean.

I can tell you on my '01 that the original fitting on the bottom busted and I cut it off. Now it has a hoseclamp and works fine. Has for over 6 years now. I sleep ok at night.

I know my comments aren't as direct as what you're looking for, but thats what I got. Standing by to see what you do next as always.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well you've got me a little confused this time Ralph. Why are you putting a '99 cooler into your 2001? And why worry about which way to flush it? Hell, flush it both ways until you feel its clean.

I can tell you on my '01 that the original fitting on the bottom busted and I cut it off. Now it has a hoseclamp and works fine. Has for over 6 years now. I sleep ok at night.

I know my comments aren't as direct as what you're looking for, but thats what I got. Standing by to see what you do next as always.
One cause the FSM says to reverse flush. But realize that is not that big a deal.
But also cause if I am understanding the factory set up fluid goes in the top, which is the bottom inlet in the picture, and comes out the bottom, which is the upper outlet in the picture.
Now isn't that confusing. LOL.
But that is different then guys say to install an aftermarket and also different then how the factory system is set up without an aux tranny cooler, just the radiator tranny cooler, from the factory.
I am just wondering if that is just the way it is or I am missing something here.

·
Super Moderator
10,284 Posts
My 2 cents, the hot oil always goes in the top and cooled oil comes out the bottom. Hence the top radiator hose is the hot/inlet and the bottom the cooled/ return. Ergo, hot air rises. I should be up in the clouds! 😬

1 - 5 of 5 Posts