Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1993 XJ
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
is there a way to pull the inner steering box brace from inside the "frame rail" or is it welded in?

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
It is welded in

Reactions: warrpath4x4

·
Registered
1993 XJ
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I picked up a portable band saw and cut off the front frame flanges, cut out some 3/16" plate, bent the sides and dimpled some 3" holes in it.

its not in its final location, just sitting there, I wrapped it around each side 3 inches, I will weld it, and will also add some L-braces on the inside of the rails, along with a piece over the top. First thought the wind needs to quit so I can weld all the cracks up in the frame rails. Thinking I might run another piece off the bottom under the steering box as a skid.

·
Registered
1993 XJ
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yesterday would have been a wonderful day to weld outside... if I had gas for the welder.

So being at a stand still on the front I moved to the back, pulled the rear bumper and hitch, while I was under there I noticed this

so now I get to replace the fuel tank, luckily one of the wrecking yards near me has a couple for $57

Then I pulled the carpet out of the rear and started a cut and fold on the rear quarters but I think I got lost somewhere lol

I have done the cut and fold on other Cherokees but this time I decided to just cut it all off with the thoughts of lengthening the rear wheel wells, then I will just plate in what's left.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
Hmmm, lengthening the rear wheel wells? Do I see larger tires in the future?

·
Registered
1993 XJ
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hmmm, lengthening the rear wheel wells? Do I see larger tires in the future?
I already have a set of brand new 33's for it I just haven't bothered switching yet. I probably should have gone with 35's but I bought them before I got the 4.88 gears.

·
Registered
1993 XJ
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am looking for a set of F150 leaf springs to replace the messed up pack thats in there, that will move the rear axle back 2 inches.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
Will that new gas tank still fit?

·
Registered
1993 XJ
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Will that new gas tank still fit?
The tank will be moved up, I am going to cut a hole in the floor and mount the tank half in the cab and half under, I had planned on doing this even before seeing the smashed tank, then build a cover over the tank. I will have to relocate the filler neck but have not decided what to do yet. I am half way thinking about chopping the top off the Cherokee (of course it will be caged).

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
What some do with that tank is put plexiglas in the rear window and fab a filler neck etc in it

·
Registered
1993 XJ
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What some do with that tank is put plexiglas in the rear window and fab a filler neck etc in it
I thought about doing that with sheet metal, wouldn't have to worry about breaking the glass off-road, we have a lot of narrow trails with trees around here.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
That would work too

·
Registered
1993 XJ
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Saturday I worked on the XJ a bit, was able to do some welding before the wind started to pick up in the afternoon. welded up all the cracks i could find (and it was a lot), right now the cross member is only tack welded in place but already adds more stability, without the cross member I was able to push the front back and forth.

The center line is dimple died (my kid loves running the shop press lol) the 2 offset holes are for the radiator lower mounts.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts