Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to know some tips on removing old fender flares..Will I gain anything by the removal or will it just look cool? Also, any legal issues and how stupid will my stock bumpers look?

Thanks

Jeepman71:brickwall:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Removing the fender flares is a simple. All you need to do is remove the nuts that run along the inside of the fender well, and the flares will come right off. You may want to soak them in PB for a couple days first though, because they have a tendency of breaking the stud, which will make re-installation difficult. When you remove them, however you will have holes left in your fenders, so the typical thing to do is to trim them a little and then fold them over (just be careful to not cut through the pinch seams).

The flareless look is really what you think of it. You may or may not like it.

This is how the fenders look right after removing the flares:

This is what they look like trimmed and folded:

·
Registered
26 Posts
It depends on what you're wanting. I installed a 3 inch lift. Then added 31 inch Cooper STTs on 4.5 inch backspace steel rims. Looked nice but couldn't make any turns without something rubbing. Ended up removing flares and front corner bumper guards. It's worked okay, specially in the mud (look at my avatar). Purchased set of Rusty's Flex Flares (not installed yet) but I'll cut out at least 2.5 inches of fender wells (eventually to run 33s). Currently, welding buddy and I are working on a winch bumper. Here in Alberta, I should have been ticketed for the lack of flares and no mud flaps. It's been more than a year now. Twice, I've been sitting at the lights and been given a smile and a thumbs up from an officer in his cruiser.

Of course, the budget does control what we do and when we can make changes to our rides.

Wilcko

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sucess!

Removal was a breeze. Alot of bolts broke off. making it easier and faster I only came across one hole that I knew was there anyway. Thanks for all the help regaurding this issue. I plan to do some extra undercoating and some more fab work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
444 Posts
i cut my rears exactly like 2000XJ did that works really well then i glued my stock flare in the same location..
as for the front chopping.. i like to trace the stock flare with a sharpie then pull it off then cut on the line.. that looks pretty clean..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
happy with the new look

I wasn't sure If I was going to like "flareless" but, it turned out really nice. It appears to look a little more lifted and my tire stick out more which I was hoping for. Like I mentioned b 4 I have One rust hole but very minor. I think my next move is some additional lighting for looks more than anything. Don't get me wrong this Jeep see action. :thumbsup: Jeepman71

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you get the flexy flares installed yet? I just got a ticket for tires sticking out too far. those flexy flares are CHEAP! Courious if they look OK Let me know, Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts