Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found the spare time to install the HP axle. We did it the "easy" way. We used the fork truck at work to lift up the Jeep onto the jack stands, and lower the LP axle out, and lift the HP axle up into the Jeep.:thumbsup:

It took about 2 hours to do, and other than the toe being out slightly drives/runs great. I adjusted the toe some, but I think I'll end up taking it to get checked out at an alignment shop. It drove funny right after I backed it out, and found the problem when I got home. The axle end of the track bar was loose.:brickwall: DOH!!!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I finally found the spare time to install the HP axle. We did it the "easy" way. We used the fork truck at work to lift up the Jeep onto the jack stands, and lower the LP axle out, and lift the HP axle up into the Jeep.:thumbsup:

It took about 2 hours to do, and other than the toe being out slightly drives/runs great. I adjusted the toe some, but I think I'll end up taking it to get checked out at an alignment shop. It drove funny right after I backed it out, and found the problem when I got home. The axle end of the track bar was loose.:brickwall: DOH!!!
I haven't been keeping up. HP what, D30?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't been keeping up. HP what, D30?
Sorry, yes a D30.

Like I said it drives great other than small humps in the road seem to want to move it around a little. I still think the toe is off. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Sorry, yes a D30.

Like I said it drives great other than small humps in the road seem to want to move it around a little. I still think the toe is off. :dunno:
Could be. Get it aligned or do it yourself and also double check all the bolts for proper tightness.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty!

Did you think about putting a truss on it prior to installation?
Yeah I welded a truss between the UCA mount and the diff. I also boxed in the front of the UCA mount. I've got a pair of JKS LCA skids to weld on yet.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Yeah I welded a truss between the UCA mount and the diff. I also boxed in the front of the UCA mount. I've got a pair of JKS LCA skids to weld on yet.
Well HELL! We need more pictures then! ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go to page 4 of this forum and there are some pic's of the truss and LCA mount there. The thread is titled "bracing my Dana 30 HP axle" or something like that. Nothing fancy, but it will do the job.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Go to page 4 of this forum and there are some pic's of the truss and LCA mount there. The thread is titled "bracing my Dana 30 HP axle" or something like that. Nothing fancy, but it will do the job.
Cool, going there now. I'm asking cause I want to do that to mine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the Jeep is driving like new now. I found it wasn't the toe causing the problem, I found the axle end of the trackbar was loose again:dunno: I tightened it down AGAIN this morning, and reset the toe back to what it was and viola...it's all good again!:thumbsup:

I'll be keeping a close eye on the trackbar for awhile. I have a very slight vibration around 60 mph in 4wd, but I'm going to leave it alone. The pinion is not quite pointed at the TC output shaft, but I need the additional caster angle to keep it from wandering on the road. Also, how often will I be driving at that speed in 4wd anyway, and it is fine in 2wd. So I will live with it.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Well the Jeep is driving like new now. I found it wasn't the toe causing the problem, I found the axle end of the trackbar was loose again:dunno: I tightened it down AGAIN this morning, and reset the toe back to what it was and viola...it's all good again!:thumbsup:
I'll be keeping a close eye on the trackbar for awhile..
its looking good.

i have the same problem with my tracbar. i just keep a close eye on it now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its looking good.

i have the same problem with my tracbar. i just keep a close eye on it now.
I never had any problems before.:dunno: The Jeep just felt like I was driving with the disco's disconnected. Obviously the axle was moving back and forth under the body.

I'm wanting to meet up with the guys/gals from GLXJ on the 28th at Haspin, so I'm trying to get everything worked out.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
For the trackbar mount, you may want to consider cutting a piece of steel to the same outline as the face of the axle side bracket, drilling a hole through it, and then welding it to the bracket itself. Get a longer bolt, and you won't have that problem of it "wallowing" out or loosening the bolt because there'll be less play in that part of the bracket. Another method is to take a large and thick washer and welding it on to help this problem out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hole isn't wallowed out, for some reason I just wasn't getting it tight. If the problem keeps appearing, I'll just buy or make a new "nut" thingy and use a new grade 8 bolt, or try your suggestion.

I'm beginning to wonder if the TB mount was slightly wider than the axle I took out, and it looked and felt tight, but until I collapsed the mount tight against the TB it really wasn't tight. I see the poly bushing is slightly smashed inside the mount. The TB still pivots ok inside the mount, so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm beginning to think us with the 2000 and 2001 XJ's need a special forum. We could call it "The '00 & '01 XJ Special Needs Forum". Whada 'ya think Kyle?:p

We seem to need quite a few parts from the "older" XJ's.:brickwall:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Use locknuts on the trackbar with some locktight (grade 8 bolts). There's a plate on the bottom of the axle bolt hole and a small access hole for the factory nut. If you cut off that plate, you'll have a larger access hole for a open end wrench and you can use any nut you please. When i had my JKS put on the TJ, the bolt kept moving just a tiny bit. The factory nut/bolt wouldn't hold much anymore so i cut off that bottom plate and used grade 8 bolts with a locknut and it never moved again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Humm.....I might just have 'ta try that.:thumbsup: I had considered a Nylock nut, but you can't weld an ear to it cause it would melt the nylon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts