Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my poor xj in August. It had a rough life, some punk 17 year old kid ran into everything with it, busted three windows out, etc.

The worse is the descrated header panal, busted grille, and smashed bumper-
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

I'd like to replace the header panal with these inexpensive aftermarket parts-
eBay Motors: 97-01 00 99 98 JEEP CHEROKEE HEADLAMP MTG HEADER PANEL (item 170288639436 end time Feb-17-09 16:29:19 PST)

Grill-
eBay Motors: 97-01 98 99 JEEP CHEROKEE SE SPORT GRILL BLACK GRILLE (item 170290630238 end time Jan-28-09 21:59:02 PST)

I have a bumper coming to me courtesy of FIREHAWK and then hopefully I'll be back to looking like new up front.

Anyone have experience with these parts?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
It drives me nuts when people don't take care of their vehicles. Regardless if you bought it for yourself or not, wouldn't you want it to at least look decent when you're using it??

Moving on, do you mean experience with those aftermarket parts or with swapping those parts out?

I know the front end is a breeze to take apart and put back together - if that's what you were wondering.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, a couple guys on jeepforums were hounding these aftermarket parts as being cheap and flimsy. But it appears that they are pretty good for the money. I reckon so long as I don't run into anything with the front of it, they should be fine.

Just wondering if anyone has used these plastic header panals. I also need to find the JEEP emblem for the front.

I am concerned about removing my old bumper. It pushed bumper bracket back under the grille. I hope the bolts come out ok, and I don't have to cut anything.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Well, a couple guys on jeepforums were hounding these aftermarket parts as being cheap and flimsy. But it appears that they are pretty good for the money. I reckon so long as I don't run into anything with the front of it, they should be fine.

Just wondering if anyone has used these plastic header panals. I also need to find the JEEP emblem for the front.

I am concerned about removing my old bumper. It pushed bumper bracket back under the grille. I hope the bolts come out ok, and I don't have to cut anything.
Dealers have all the emblems. I suspect it'll be in the $16 to $25 range. The "4x4" stickers that go on the rear sides were $16 each.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Cool. I will probably go ahead and order the header panal and grille with my tax check then.
It's still a nice looking Jeep, plus it's a great excuse to put a real bumper on it. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's still a nice looking Jeep, plus it's a great excuse to put a real bumper on it. ;)
It needs a TON of work. Honestly, if I had the money, time, and space, I'd cut the back off and buggy it, but it has to be a DD for now. Trying to buy a house and this is the turd I'm stuck with.

It has a green hatch on it, which I didn't mind at first but now it's kind ghey. Thinking about trying to find a green hood to at least sorta put a pattern to it :rofl:

The biggest issue it has is NO HEAT. I really don't want to put a core in this POS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I almost bought those, but found that I could get a much better deal (when considering shipping and all) if I bought them at the junk yard. The parts I got were off of an 80s model which had the same lines, but completely different mounting points. Even that wasn't tough.

As was said earlier, the front end is really easy and self explanatory. Good luck with the project no matter how you do it.

s

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought my poor xj in August. It had a rough life, some punk 17 year old kid ran into everything with it, busted three windows out, etc.

The worse is the descrated header panal, busted grille, and smashed bumper-
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

I'd like to replace the header panal with these inexpensive aftermarket parts-
eBay Motors: 97-01 00 99 98 JEEP CHEROKEE HEADLAMP MTG HEADER PANEL (item 170288639436 end time Feb-17-09 16:29:19 PST)

Grill-
eBay Motors: 97-01 98 99 JEEP CHEROKEE SE SPORT GRILL BLACK GRILLE (item 170290630238 end time Jan-28-09 21:59:02 PST)

I have a bumper coming to me courtesy of FIREHAWK and then hopefully I'll be back to looking like new up front.

Anyone have experience with these parts?
Try to google Certifit Auto Body in your area. They have great prices and they sell to the general public. I've used their stuff and it all fit real good. I got one of their fenders and grill and headlight besel and no problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not one in my area. I can get a new grille and header panel from this ebay dealer for less than $96 shipped to my door. Beats having to pull those parts in the junkyard in the mud. I'm considering it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts