Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the floor pans? My passenger floor pan is really "F'd" up and have never attempted sheet metal replacement other than outer panels. I hope someone on here has done some and maybe has pics. Thanks in advance.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I did it. Basically just get a hammer with a rounded tip and punch the sheet metal into shape. I used pop rivets to secure it, but you can weld it if you want.

Then I got rid of the surface rust and then bedlined it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What he said but it's called a ball-peen hammer. It's also a good idea to remove the surface rust before you put your new panels in.

I used self tappin screws instead of rivets. I also used seam sealer to glue the panels down and seal them.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I did the same as little blackxj, but the sheet metal was a panel cut from the roof of a 54 Chevy and was used to stop my wife from dragging her toes on the pavement in a 65 Dodge Dart.

Musta used about 100 pop-rivets . . . . .:thumbsup:

Budd

·
Registered
158 Posts
The first half is done, now I just need to grind off the rust that has formed again and then herc it before it comes back....

I live on the PNW coast, so things rust pretty quickly around here.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I replaced the whole pan plus some on my 93 xj before the long arm lift, discount jeep .com has Mopar ones under Xj surplus, 230 shipped freight, Took me about a month to do the whole thing, bonus is that you can redo your transfer cross member bolt, and front leaf main eye captive nuts, if they have snapped before concrete grinder rental Los Angeles, if its really bad do the inner rockers and outer rockers in conjunction raybuck.com has those,, I was goona just do the front pans, but usually the more carpet u pull up the more disgusted I was..Used a lincoln mig welder, air chisel, spot weld cutter, drill out all of the weld, combination drill and chisel all the old stuff on the rails, grind, then rosette weld everything..Worth doing if you have the time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts