Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It happened. Frame rotted right in front of the driver side leaf spring mount. The frame has been weak here for some time. Out of sight, out of mind. Anyhow, its rusted along the frame and around the mount. I want to repair this with a set of frame stiffeners and then add a little extra around the mounts. I am really leaning toward ruff stuff. Here is the link: Ruff Stuff XJ mid-frame stiffeners

I like theirs cause they plate over where my frame is cracked. And they have a little lip that rolls under the floor. I'll get pics tomorrow of the damage.

It probably didn't help that Saturday, I had to pull a TJ about a 1.5 mile out of the woods. Gemini did awesome, BTW!

Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I think I would get some metal and go back a little farther behind. If it is weak where you can see it, it is also weak where you can't

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I would get some metal and go back a little farther behind. If it is weak where you can see it, it is also weak where you can't
I agree, The ruff stuffs have a plate that goes beyond the spring mount and wraps up into the rear wheel. Plus, since I don't have long arms. I have to cut off the front section of the stiffener, I was gonna move this to the back and strengthen the leaf spring mount.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are pics of the damage:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Looks like a lot of rot. Woder how far that goes?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Ouch. I could read a book through that

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Considering how rusty your original front axle was, Im not surprised you found some in the frame finally. Ruffstuff is good stuff, but there are a lot more guys getting into making stiffeners. I haven't looked into it to tell you which ones have the best coverage though. Sorry bud.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at about a half dozen different stiffeners, ruff stuff seemed to be the only ones that went up under the floor. So. I ordered the ruff stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
That is a good feature

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since my inspection has expired, I have access and use of a buddys garage and mig welder. Thanks WJLizard. You know I love ya and appreciate the facilities. But I'm gonna have to fly under the radar for a while til i can get this thing inspected.

I'm gonna use this as a storage house for my repairs and pics. Don't think this will be a "How to" but a "Did do". Comments and question are welcome.

These are the floor pans: XJ front floor pans

XJ rear floor pans

They are not "factory" but at this stage, I am just looking for structural integrity.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question. I had to pull all my carpet to prepare for this project. Should I eliminate the carpet and coat my floor in Bedliner ( or some other similar product), or keep the carpet? I am really struggling with this decision. I know I have a few weeks before I have to decide, but I want to prepare for whatever route I go.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Since you live in the rust belt, I would suggest you coat the bare metal with bed liner inside and out then put your carpet back over it. XJs get loud and hot without carpet and headliners.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Use a weld thru primer on the new parts where welded on top of the old metal. You cant paint between after welding, so use the paint there that can be welded thru. It has high zinc content, for galvanic corrosion protection. Left bare, the double layer will rust badly from trapped water between the two metal parts.

Keep Jeeping!

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Use a weld thru primer on the new parts where welded on top of the old metal. You cant paint between after welding, so use the paint there that can be welded thru. It has high zinc content, for galvanic corrosion protection. Left bare, the double layer will rust badly from trapped water between the two metal parts.

Keep Jeeping!
Thanks, already on top of that!

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Thanks, already on top of that!
Its expensive stuff, but its worth it. Just for peace of mind in my case.

Yes Gluck, definitely keep the carpet. Don't make it more of a tin can than it already is. That looks like a great deal on floorpans. I made my own by hand for the drivers side and it was a real time-consumer. Didn't cost a dime but its not for everyone.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts