Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
My rustolium paint was free
hahahahahahaaha!!!!
How do you propose I put that in a slider that is already installed??
I suppose a better way would be to drill a hole in the top and fill it with POR or something and drain it out the bottom after a minute (por15 in a sealed container wont cure, so just drain immediately). Then do the next side. I guess you could rock the jeep pretty good, or go wheeling for a day and come back.

The problem here is that any welding will burn off the coating on the inside anyways, and so doing this before or after sealing up the tube doesn't matter because you still have to weld to the jeep. Gluck yours is already welded shut and on the vehicle, so why bother? That rocker tube wont rust out in this lifetime.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I had to cut a slit in the middle of the top of the slider running parallel to rocker to tie in my B-pillar. I used the preexisting drain holes that are in the rocker area. Poured paint into there and let it find its own way in.you would be suprise how many pin holes were found. Shocked me when I came back in from eating dinner to find a few quarts on the floor. This was done after it was installed and painted.

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I had to cut a slit in the middle of the top of the slider running parallel to rocker to tie in my B-pillar. I used the preexisting drain holes that are in the rocker area. Poured paint into there and let it find its own way in.you would be suprise how many pin holes were found. Shocked me when I came back in from eating dinner to find a few quarts on the floor. This was done after it was installed and painted.
Must have been where I welded them, :rolleyes: Lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
She is done! Got her out of the shop for some vitamin D!!! I go tomorrow to get her safety inspection. Woot Woot. Interior still needs installed, but she has a drivers seat and that's all she really needs!!! Gemini is BACK!!!!!.

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Bump. Im doing this now. Found a big hole in the front of my frame and am moving to patch and do stiffeners now. Ruffstuff seems like a good option for the middle but I dont like their front and rear kits. What is everyone using for stiffener brands?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts

These are the guys that I got the entire kit from. I cant remember what I paid, but it was a fair price at the time. I like how the kit is formed, though I've only welded the center sections on so far. Haven't had the time or space to do everything else yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Ruff stuff are my middle stiffeners and dirt bound off road is my rear.
Floor jacks and lots of C clamps are your friends. Make sure your have the jeep setting level. Once they are welded, your body will remain in the position.
FWIW, I know XJ'S have a lot of body twist due to the unibody. But I can truly say, mine made a huge difference, I have opened and closed my rear hatch while flexed out in the front

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ruff stuff are my middle stiffeners and dirt bound off road is my rear.
Floor jacks and lots of C clamps are your friends. Make sure your have the jeep setting level. Once they are welded, your body will remain in the position.
FWIW, I know XJ'S have a lot of body twist due to the unibody. But I can truly say, mine made a huge difference, I have opened and closed my rear hatch while flexed out in the front
Lmao, I'm not 100% sure, but im pretty positive I have flexed my jeep so that the right rear is permanently tweaked.

That aside, did you have a level surface to setup on when you did yours? Did you measure off it or use a level?

·
Super Moderator
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
I had a concrete floor and jack stands. I just used a tape measure. After 5 years of wheeling I figured I had twisted it in jest about every direction. Jyst made sure the jack stands were in the same location side to side and the same height. I have hi lift jack stands which are about 18" tall minimum height, so I didn't have to use wooden blocks or anything to get them high enough.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts