Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my own bumper brackets out of some 1/4" steel. The drivers side bracket i haven't bolted on all the way yet. Anyone here buy 1/4" brackets off ebay or something and know if the power steering box bolts needed to be replaced with longer ones?

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
I made my own bumper brackets out of some 1/4" steel. The drivers side bracket i haven't bolted on all the way yet. Anyone here buy 1/4" brackets off ebay or something and know if the power steering box bolts needed to be replaced with longer ones?
My detour's backbone system uses 1/4" steel and it came with new longer bolts. I would take one of your bolts in to a hardware store and match it up with grade 8 bolts that are 1/2" longer. But from what I've seen on my jeep, I could have reused the stock bolts with the 1/4" plate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You will want longer ones. the stock bolts aren't threaded right to the end. They are 7/16 bolts. Be sure to inspect the threads on the box to make sure they are in decent shape. Mine were beat up and I ended up drilling and tapping it to 1/2 bolts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already sprayed them with oil so hopefully they'll come out easy. They do look like they would be to short. Hope to have some pics up soon of the finished bumper/hitch.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Yes, get longer ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed 1/4 plates on front bumper on 2000 XJ an I ran the stock bolts. Not ideal but have worked with no issues an been 6 months running like that.
Not saying it’s good to run them as it would be better to replace them with longer bolts but they will work in a pinch, an sometimes in a pinch turns into Oh crap I forgot about that an you run them for 6 months till you read a posting LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts