Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building a front bumper for myself soon, and have a question. I already own Rusty's Tow Hook Brackets and plan on using them for my tie-in brackets. Is this wise or not? Has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gnome

·
Registered
468 Posts
i would just say get some taps and weld them on with d rings. but then again if you make the mounts Strong i don't see why you could not use what you already have.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I will be building a front bumper for myself soon, and have a question. I already own Rusty's Tow Hook Brackets and plan on using them for my tie-in brackets. Is this wise or not? Has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gnome
You can just get a piece of card board and some 3/16" or 1/4" steel plate and cut you out a set of these. If you want some tie-ins.

These are JCR's brackets They sandwich between the bumper mounting brackets and UniFrame (using the standard 3 hold bolt pattern on the front of your XJ) and continue 14.5” down the UniFrame. Along the way (on the driver side) they brace all three of the steering box bolts, and run through the large sleeved hole about 12” from the front of the frame. The passenger side bolts directly to the sleeve in the frame, and includes provisions to drill three more holes for even more support if you desire.
Use the card board make you a template then cut it out. If you have a plasma cutter it is cake.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can just get a piece of card board and some 3/16" or 1/4" steel plate and cut you out a set of these. If you want some tie-ins.

These are JCR's brackets They sandwich between the bumper mounting brackets and UniFrame (using the standard 3 hold bolt pattern on the front of your XJ) and continue 14.5” down the UniFrame. Along the way (on the driver side) they brace all three of the steering box bolts, and run through the large sleeved hole about 12” from the front of the frame. The passenger side bolts directly to the sleeve in the frame, and includes provisions to drill three more holes for even more support if you desire.
Use the card board make you a template then cut it out. If you have a plasma cutter it is cake.
I was trying to skip the whole custom made job because of a few reasons. I don't have a plasma cutter and I don't know anyone who does. I thought of using the brackets I have because the holes are already in the correct places and no further modification is needed. I will be going back to school soon so funds are already behind. :thumbdown: I was planning on drawing up some brackets and having a local company make them but like I said, funds are scarce.
Since the brackets don't protrude out from my jeep very far I plan on welding a length of steel to the side and having that go through the bumper, welding it front and back. Then the bracket itself will butt again the backside of the bumper and I will weld it there.
Kind of weird to explain but I hope it makes sense. It did for me! Hahah.

Thanks

Gnome

·
Registered
826 Posts
I was trying to skip the whole custom made job because of a few reasons. I don't have a plasma cutter and I don't know anyone who does. I thought of using the brackets I have because the holes are already in the correct places and no further modification is needed. I will be going back to school soon so funds are already behind. :thumbdown: I was planning on drawing up some brackets and having a local company make them but like I said, funds are scarce.
Since the brackets don't protrude out from my jeep very far I plan on welding a length of steel to the side and having that go through the bumper, welding it front and back. Then the bracket itself will butt again the backside of the bumper and I will weld it there.
Kind of weird to explain but I hope it makes sense. It did for me! Hahah.

Thanks

Gnome
I have no idea what you are saying, But good luck!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Logans metal products 300 for front or rear bumper check mine I love it comes with all the hardware

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
how much easier is it to do that than to get the $60-ish 1/4 in steel mounts off the interwebs? does this make the finished product much stronger or weaker ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how much easier is it to do that than to get the $60-ish 1/4 in steel mounts off the interwebs? does this make the finished product much stronger or weaker ?
Very easy! because then I wouldn't have to spend the $60-ish for the new mounts.

·
Registered
687 Posts
That picture is AWSOME !!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
microsoft paint, always makes it easier to describe stuff, btw, whats the easiest/fastest way to get the front bumper off, im thinkin its time to paint it black

·
Registered
687 Posts
Cut off wheel works wonders

·
Registered
358 Posts
:rofl::rofl: yeah, but i want to be able to put it back on while i do a build up of a front bumper

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ok then just start un bolting the bolts mine came off pritty east I would take the bumper off the mounts first then the mount bolts are easy to get to . Just watch them stupid clip bolts break easy then spin on you

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
The stock mounts are crap, you want to go back as far as possible and this is an opportunity to brace the steering box area on the drivers side. Pick up some frame plates from AJ's or JCR make your own. I built my bumper using JCR's.

Here are the bumper mounts I built my bumper off of, it doesn't matter how you do it, just pick all bolts all the way back to the sleeved towhook hole in the unibody.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I would seriously think twice about trying to do any type of recovery off the stock mounting holes. First there is only three per side, second they are located as far forward on the uni-body as possible. Those mounting positions were designed for impact.

Those brackets of jonzer are serious and the material cost is minimal compared to the cost of a failure.

Here is another option:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jonzer. i understand that. but i don't have the tools to fab my own or the money to get some JCR brackets. I already have towhook brackets installed. my original question was, could i just build off of them?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts