• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys?
I need some opinions on 2 bumpers: I need your preference & reasons for that choice. For some reason my links aren't alive, so let me try this (bear with me guys). Would you all mind doing an eBay search? Ignore the Poll, I don't know how to edit it. Just refer to them as Bumper #1 or #2

Bumper #1 - Ebay item #370154359559
Bumper #2 - Ebay Item #270353199073

I like both for different reasons, but I'm no expert, so I need input from you, the experts. Both bumpers have good mounting points, but apart from that, which is better overall? :dunno: Stronger? Best approach angle? Best bang for the buck? Which seller is all hype? Who's all show & no go? :confused:
C'mon, help a sister out! :bow:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bad links.
This is odd ... I'm used to posting links, but for some reason these aren't showing up. Tried it several times. And the listings are still current. What a PITA!

I guess it's a sign that I should keep my money, huh?
Okay I changed the post ... more work for you guys, but I'll really appreciate it :bow: .

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Hey guys?
I need some opinions on 2 bumpers: I need your preference & reasons for that choice. For some reason my links aren't alive, so let me try this (bear with me guys). Would you all mind doing an eBay search? Ignore the Poll, I don't know how to edit it. Just refer to them as Bumper #1 or #2

Bumper #1 - Ebay item #370154359559
Bumper #2 - Ebay Item #270353199073

I like both for different reasons, but I'm no expert, so I need input from you, the experts. Both bumpers have good mounting points, but apart from that, which is better overall? :dunno: Stronger? Best approach angle? Best bang for the buck? Which seller is all hype? Who's all show & no go? :confused:
C'mon, help a sister out! :bow:
Ummm which one is the Detours bumper? :dunno:

It's like I don't even know you anymore!

·
Registered
557 Posts
First one i dont like the styling, and it's like Nates bumper that the winch just sits on a flat plate atop the bumper with no additional reinforcing.

The second has a decent style to it and probably a better construction for winch mounting. The one thing i'd question is the bumper and unirail supports being seperate pieces. This makes the bolts attaching the bumper the weak point IMO.

Will you be mounting a winch? If thats the case i think i'd look to spend a tad more and go with one of the more established manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
This first one is pretty plain and bulky. I think I'd spend $100 more and get the JCR winch bumper. I came close to getting that one ($550 I think).

The other one looks better, but I think it is too thin. I know you're not planning on running into anybody, or anything, but having had a accident recently and seeing my old jeep's life flash before my eyes, well i'm getting something more beefy. I think the JCR winch bumper fits this as well.

Besides it just looks really cool.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
I dont like the first one. I wouldnt pay that much for it either. I got my used ARB for only $400.

I like the second one better. It looks better and has a better approach angle. But i would take into consideration what overland said about the unirail supports.

otherwise:
AJ's Offroad Armor
JcrOffroad, Inc.

especially jcr if you arent running a winch for price purposes.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
Hey, sister

Just thought I would say something about EBAY in general. My experience with them has been less than sterling. If you buy something, the sellers can deliver you anything, even something not represented and keep a top rating and you have no recourse through them. If you want to really check out these bumpers, find a show room with some and do a little window shopping, you know like you do for clothes.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. I've been on eBay since 2001 and I've done alright as a buyer (and the few times I've been a seller - score of 106). There are ways to get justice if you follow the rules. Bought a defective video/still camera once (not broken, seller just neglected to say the damn thing didn't have a flash!). After I stated my case, eBay buyer protection bought the camera 100% back from me & dealt with the seller. Gotta know what you're doing.
Besides, I have yet to find a place within 100 miles of home that has XJ offroad bumpers in a "showroom".

For those with opinions on the 2 bumpers, I do appreciate your input. I actually thought that the yovus bumper was a better value, being powder coated & free shipping. I've always wanted one that was taller instead of shorter, meaning the height if you measure from the top towards the ground. I don't want one that extends too far since I have no winch and no plans for one. #2 sticks way out, but it's better looking. You guys have certainly given me food for thought.
I don't like JCR styling. AJ is the man, but ... has anyone even heard from him lately?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ummm which one is the Detours bumper? :dunno:

It's like I don't even know you anymore!
Excuse me ... did you say Detours? The only person I've ever recall using the terms "Detours" & "front bumper" in the same sentence is ... you! It's like Big Foot, very elusive, no sighting.

Are you keeping secrets from me? It's like I don't even know you anymore ... :rofl:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lots of people believe in Bigfoot, me for one........I believe in other life forms as well......but that aside, this is DETOURS standard front bumper offering- it's not on your list, just figured I'd toss it in the mix.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ebay bumper #2 is actually made by Logan's Metal Products and he has a really good reputation. I was very close to getting one of his bumpers but went with AJ's instead. But I would definitely go with #2. You can also get that bumper with a grill guard.

Logans Metal Products

·
Registered
14 Posts
AJ is the man, but ... has anyone even heard from him lately?
Yeah, I talked to him on the phone a couple days ago. He is back in production though he is behind on his orders he is getting some help so he is hoping to get things caught up in the next few weeks. I have some super rock rails and a PhatXJ winch bumper ordered.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice looking bumper. I don't see it on your site though.
It's on the 'update' list.....it's been only offered as custom, but we've made so many, it's going to become a standard offering......updates are behind on the site, but a few went up this week.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of people believe in Bigfoot, me for one........I believe in other life forms as well......but that aside, this is DETOURS standard front bumper offering- it's not on your list, just figured I'd toss it in the mix.:rolleyes:
Hey ... I didn't even know you had fronts, dude. You already know there's no other rear bumper in the world for me but yours. Thanks for posting up. I kinda like my fronts to have a little more "covering" on them, yours is almost like a tube bumper and I 'm not a fan of those. How about something that matches the slimline?

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's notta biggy.....we dont advertise them, it's word of mouth......besides, the market is flooded with front bumpers and everyone likes something different......That bumper is actually a BackBone, on steriods......it came about by showing what could be 'home-fabbed' off the BackBone system, liked it so much......it became a staple.:thumbsup:

Nother......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts