Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2005 grand cherokee. I need to remove the front driveshaft coupler to drill out a broken bolt. Do I just remove the center nut on the coupler to remove it or is it more involved than that?
Thank.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
That indented part of the nut has to be pounded back out, then you'll need something to hold the round part (yoke) in place while you put a big damn impact gun on that pinion nut. It'll be on there tight. Then I think that you might be able to get away with putting it all back on but I am not familiar enough with that particular setup to remember if there's a crush sleeve or anything to replace before you reinstall.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
The only thing holding the flange in is the center bolt. I'm pretty sure the diff has a crush sleeve. And it has a specific torque spec and pretty high (200+) cause they are a mf'er to get crushed. You can mark the pinion and nut and make sure when you put it back together, you get back to that mark, and use lock tight on the threads.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I would try to remove the broken bolt and leave the flange alone. If that's not possible then follow Glucks recommendations. Yes they have to be properly torqued when your done.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Do you happen to have a welder or know someone with a welder? Weld a nut on the end of the broken bolt, the heat shock from the welding process generally breaks the threads loose, I've done that on a pinion yoke flange for those tiny bolts, works great.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
If you do remove that nut, retorque that nut so there is 8 inch pounds of rotational resistance on the pinion per FSM

Reactions: Mike1964
1 - 6 of 6 Posts