Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 and when I turn the wheel all the way to the left it makes a loud clunking noise but it doesn't do it when I turn right, and when I'm moving and I take left turns it makes a clunking noise throughout the whole turn but again not when I turn right, I replaced the track bar today thinking that would fix it but it's still there does anyone know what it could be

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
It sounds drivetrain related.

How many miles on your jeep?

Is it automatic or manual?

Stock or do you have it lifted?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it could be the U joints too but I checked them and there is little to no play in them at all and it Is a stock height automatic with 300,000 in the chassis but a new motor

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Any back and forth shuddering in the steering wheel when the clunk happens?

Bad u-joints don't always have play. Sometimes you have to remove the shaft and bend it at the joint by hand to know it.

300k miles is alot of wear and tear. It could be a number of things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No there is no suffering or shaking in the steering wheel it just makes a weird crunching kind of sound from the from end toward the driver side

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Jack it up, place it on stands, then grab the tire at 12 and 6 and shake in and out. Feel for any clunking or play. Then do it at 3 and 9.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 and when I turn the wheel all the way to the left it makes a loud clunking noise but it doesn't do it when I turn right, and when I'm moving and I take left turns it makes a clunking noise throughout the whole turn but again not when I turn right, I replaced the track bar today thinking that would fix it but it's still there does anyone know what it could be
I have the exact same problem but only in reverse. Feels like something is kinda of jumping or wobbling really fast? I checked u joints and driveshafts but all is good there. No idea what could be happening.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Swaybar links did it for me. Engine mounts will do it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts