Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was driving about 50 and the front end started to shake like a son of a bitch. I had to almost stop for it to quit. It did it everytime I got up to about fifty. Got home jacked it up shaked the hell out of it and I found the front sway bar to be loose but that was all that was loosen then I found on the pass side diff fluild leaking.

My question is in the pic below is that gap suppose to be there. Sorry fo the side ways pic the only pic i could get.

Pic of the backside

A pic of where my front Bumper is riped/bent on the passenger side.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had a similar problem with my GC. at around 60 it starts to shake and to stop it you need to severely slow down. I thought i had an imbalenced tire. I dont know what to look for as far as fixing it or finding out whats wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
Finney

I agree. The infamous death wobble and also that track bar bushings is the place to look. Also check the adjustment of your steering box, which can contribute and ball joints, which can also contribute. I know you shook it good, but put it on the ground and watch what happens while someone operates the steering wheel. If that axle starts going back and forth relative to the body or the wheels don't turn when they are supposed to you will know where to start

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Fin, this sounds like a classic sign of an unbalanced tire(s). Unbalanced tires usually present themselves between 50-60 MPH. Once you accelerate through it, the tire typically "balances" itself. Get them checked out. Look to see see if you're missing weights (sometimes those areas are "cleaner" than where there were no weights).

This is also about the speed where a bad alignment begins to show its face. If your toe is off, the front tires will begin to fight each other for what direction they want to pull the vehicle. Again, once you surpass a certain speed this will also fade, and not reappear until your back within that bracket of speed where it normally occurs.

I'd start with those two options.

The other thing to check is the trackbar mounts and bolts, like someone else mentioned.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finney

I agree. The infamous death wobble and also that track bar bushings is the place to look. Also check the adjustment of your steering box, which can contribute and ball joints, which can also contribute. I know you shook it good, but put it on the ground and watch what happens while someone operates the steering wheel. If that axle starts going back and forth relative to the body or the wheels don't turn when they are supposed to you will know where to start
I have a new track bar. I tighten everything up and greased everything.

Fin, this sounds like a classic sign of an unbalanced tire(s). Unbalanced tires usually present themselves between 50-60 MPH. Once you accelerate through it, the tire typically "balances" itself. Get them checked out. Look to see see if you're missing weights (sometimes those areas are "cleaner" than where there were no weights).

This is also about the speed where a bad alignment begins to show its face. If your toe is off, the front tires will begin to fight each other for what direction they want to pull the vehicle. Again, once you surpass a certain speed this will also fade, and not reappear until your back within that bracket of speed where it normally occurs.

I'd start with those two options.

The other thing to check is the trackbar mounts and bolts, like someone else mentioned.

I'm getting tire tomorrow got to drop the heep off then go to school.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The gap around the axle shaft is normal. The axle seal ain't hard to change, just do both sides at the same time.

·
Registered
444 Posts
death wobble has nothing to do with track bar mounts/bushings.. there are 3 things that cause it.. they are..
- tire balance
- bent tie rod or incorrectly set tow-in
- loose/worn out rod ends

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
death wobble has nothing to do with track bar mounts/bushings.. there are 3 things that cause it.. they are..
- tire balance
- bent tie rod or incorrectly set tow-in
- loose/worn out rod ends
Tire are being put on in the morning. so is an alignment. rod ends are in decent shape and nice and tight.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got new tires today 235/75 r15

Goodyears wrangler rt/s $387.80 for 4 mounted and balanced with new vavle stem and alignment. It took care of the front end trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts