Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well......finally am realizing I never had a limited slip in any Cherokee . I have a 96 with front and rear open and a 99 with a limited slip rear and front open. Would a front limited slip be more beneficial with a limited slip rear or open rear ? My 96 seems better in snow with front and rear opens better than my 99 with rear limited.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody have a front limited slip ?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking about the front limited slip. Is that a bad idea for snow?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Go selectable. You have better options there, plus you will have a full locker if needed. Driving in the snow with a locker could take some getting used to though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would think more about the off-road aspect. Jeeps are tanks in the snow and I rarely even use the 4X4 in the snow, if you know how to drive in the snow you wont even need it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would think more about the off-road aspect. Jeeps are tanks in the snow and I rarely even use the 4X4 in the snow, if you know how to drive in the snow you wont even need it.

Depends how much it snows, and if you actually drive in it. I grenaded the tcase in my dodge on the weekend, reducing it to 2wd, and I am worried being where I live...

Anyways, I had a truetrac, which is a LSD, in the front of my D30 way back. Actually, I'm 99% sure I still have the truetrac with a broken ring gear bolted to it somewhere. Anyways, it worked freaking awesome for a limited slip. However, I would install one in the rear first as it will make the vehicle behave better in the snow in 2wd (or in 2wd in general). That way you are less likely to need 4wd.

FWIW, I'd buy another truetrac over any other L/S. They are a torsion gear type, not clutch packs, won't over-heat or wear out. And they lock up much better.

And as for a selectable... I drove with a front spool on snow and ice. That would be the same as a locked selectable. The front end would enter a skid independent of the rear very easily. It was easy enough to learn to drive through it, but I don't know how it would be at higher speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts