Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw in the "Our Beloved Cherokees" thread that Cherokees and Grand Cherokees qualify for the "Cash for Clunkers" boondoggle. They should exclude manual transmissions. I just got 33 mpg hwy on our "new" manual '01 with 101,000 miles [correct 225 tires], and still get 26-28 mpg on our old '87 with 216,000 miles [correct 215 tires]. If the feds want to increase mileage, maybe they should give $4500 to people who agree to buy a manual transmission, instead of destroying functional vehicles. And Chrysler should never have discontinued AMC's classic 4 ltr straight-6 Cherokee. Shame on you Wolfgang Bernhard and acquiescing execs! Instant karma gonna get you!

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Yeah i don't beleive that for a second. Cherokees barely squeeze 20 mpg, let alone 30 mpg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Littleblackxj,
Nonetheless, it is true. I bought my AMC '87 in December of 1986, brand new. My wife and I have put 215,680 miles on it in the intervening 23 years. I know how to check mileage, filling the tank all the way up the neck, with the vehicle completely level, and then refilling it in the exact same manner. I consistently get 24 to 28 miles per gallon on the highway. Once I got 29 with a tail wind. Perhaps it is the conservative way I have driven it these 23 years. Or perhaps you drive an automatic. But the manual paired with the 3.07 to 1 axle ratio is, I believe, the key. With the '01 we just bought, I got 24 mpg in the 90 miles I drove in Denver, mostly city. But filling it to the neck before driving the 233 miles over the Continental Divide back to near Grand Junction, even I was surprised and very pleased to get 33.3 mpg. Yes sir, I'm 55, with 3 degrees, including college math through calc III, engineering math 1 & 2. I know how to check gas mileage. Perhaps if I show you the nail prints in my hands . . . ?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Yeah, still don't beleive it. That means you are getting 2.5x the mpg i get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'll update you after I have run a few more tanks of gas through the '01. The mileage data on the '87 is valid however, 22.5 years of it. Do you have the factory tow package? That might be a factor in reduced mileage, as that would mean a 3.73:1 axle ratio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ). Also you might check for a crack in the exhaust manifold which allows fresh air to be sucked in ahead of the O2 sensor, though I think that was probably a problem only between '96 and mid-'00.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I quit smoking that good stuff when I graduated high school almost 15 years ago, but apparently it works better than ever. I've obviously made a mistake in quitting. This guy is ultra happy about his magical XJ's. Even 4 cylinder 2WD's didn't get 25 MPGs. Puff puff pass brother.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
A 1987 2.1L diesel manual is rated at 24 city 26 highway.

A 1987 2.5L manual is rated at 16 city 21 highway

A 2001 XJ is rated at 15 city 20 highway.

Are your vehicles 4x4? Diesel?

I am AMAZED at your gas mileage (it's unheard of) but somewhat not convinced since it's WAY above estimated fuel mileage that Chrysler puts on the window.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello XJinPA,
Well, it is getting personal now. So, I'll reveal a little of my personal life: I graduated from highschool 20 before you did, and despite growing up in the '60s, I have never done any drugs whatsoever, including pot . . . Guess that disqualifies me from being President, but three degrees does qualify me to check mileage . . . Hell, could do that without any degrees; just grade school math. Check the Wikipedia link I put up and you'll see that 4 cylinders had 3:55, 4:10, and even 4:56 axle ratios with the tow package, destroying the mileage cpw 3:07 that came with the I6. Are there any conventional non-car-crushers out there who have gotten the same good mileage as I have over a 20+ year span?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi again muddeprived,

I neglected one of your questions: Yes, they are both 4X4. I work as a geologist on drilling rigs in the Rocky Mountains, and have to have that. And once again, the '01 is new to me, I've only run about a tank and a half through it, and that amazing 33 mpg came on I-70 over the Continental Divide, where mountain roads give manuals an additional mileage advantage I think. As I recall, my trips through Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas with the old '87 were in the 24-25 mpg hwy range, not the 28 I just got coming up to Wyoming two days ago. And yes XJinPA, I am VERY happy with my magical '87 . . . almost 216,000 miles, and still burns no oil. Amazing what regular maintenance on a sturdy tractor engine will do.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Hey guys don't hate on the guy, I can sort of believe this...

Driving back and forth between my school and my girlfriend's school during college I could regularly get 24 MPG in my stock '00 XJ (4x4, 4.0L, 235/70R16 tires, 3.55 gears). My cruise control would be set at 68 MPH - for some reason that was the "sweet spot". I used to make this commute alot, so I had it down to a science. It was hard for me to even believe that I was getting that good of gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Hi again muddeprived,

I neglected one of your questions: Yes, they are both 4X4. I work as a geologist on drilling rigs in the Rocky Mountains, and have to have that. And once again, the '01 is new to me, I've only run about a tank and a half through it, and that amazing 33 mpg came on I-70 over the Continental Divide, where mountain roads give manuals an additional mileage advantage I think. As I recall, my trips through Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas with the old '87 were in the 24-25 mpg hwy range, not the 28 I just got coming up to Wyoming two days ago. And yes XJinPA, I am VERY happy with my magical '87 . . . almost 216,000 miles, and still burns no oil. Amazing what regular maintenance on a sturdy tractor engine will do.
What kind of work do you do as a geologist?

The 4.0's are known to last literally forever if you maintain them properly. You can expect 300k-400k out of them, sometimes even more.

I don't doubt your math skills so I trust what you are saying but it's still a pretty darn high mileage that we never hear about so expect alot of doubts. ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
BringBackTheCherokee, what speed do you normally cruise at on the highway?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2000XJ: Thanks! And with the 3:55! Manual or automatic?

Muddeprived: Wellsite geologist. Examine drill cuttings, record gas from hole as mud is circulated up, and create a strip log of the formations penetrated in the 10,550' to 13,000' depths currently drilled out here [~2 1/2 miles deep].

Quinn: Pretty much stick to the speed limit. I-70 was about half 75 mph and 1/4 65mph / 1/4 55 mph on the way back from my purchase of the '01 in Denver. The road to Wyoming is twisty and hilly in parts. I'd say average 55 mph overall, some 35 and 45 mph on dirt for about 30 of the 370 mile one way trip. In fact, that's a good estimate: 370 miles divided by 7 hours = 52.8 mph. [Takes 7 1/2 hours to drive, with 1/2 hr in breaks.] I have the small gas tank [13 gallons, but can always make the 301 miles from my home to Rock Springs on a single tank, this time w/ only partial air-conditioner-run-time took 10.5 gals, thus 28.7 mpg. You betcha.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gotcha. The reason I ask is becuase I too have a manual with the 3.07 gears. I just made an 8 hour round trip yesterday, mostly highway (driving 70-80mph) with some city mixed in, and averaged 17 mpg. However this is with 31" tires and steel wheels. I may ask a friend to borrow some stock sized tires to see if I can replicate your results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Gotcha. The reason I ask is becuase I too have a manual with the 3.07 gears. I just made an 8 hour round trip yesterday, mostly highway (driving 70-80mph) with some city mixed in, and averaged 17 mpg. However this is with 31" tires and steel wheels. I may ask a friend to borrow some stock sized tires to see if I can replicate your results.
I bet the tires are a big part of the reason. You went farther than the odometer says you did because those tires cover more ground with each revolution than stock size. I had some 235's on the '87 about a 100k ago, and had to do the PIr2 calculations to adjust my speed & mileage calculations.

The second thing I'd check, with a flash-light, is for a hair-line crack on your exhaust manifold where two merge to one. Besides the hair-line crack, you'll see some white discoloration on the gray pipe right along the crack itself. I looked at four '90s Cherokees in Denver during my search a couple of weeks ago, and 3 out of 4 had cracks. Michael at Jeep Republic 4X4 Park [Denver] says those cracks are very common, and result in the engine running too rich as fresh air is sucked into the exhaust pipe right in front of the oxygen sensor, causing it to mis-read reality. The problem was corrected in mid-'00, but is a big problem from about '96 until mid-'00.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Yeah I still don't believe you. My buddies jeep was completely stock with a manual and the "magical" 3.07 gear ratios. We did a complete tune up and he never broke 20mpg.

O and going from stock wheels to 31s isn't going to make a 10mpg difference. Maybe 2mpg at the max.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm with littleblackxj on this one. And I'm also going to add that your college degrees mean absolutely nothing. Period. After so many miles internal parts wear and are not near as efficient as when they were new(er) therefore they will cause loss of performance and gas mileage as well. I don't have my degree yet, but I am a certified master mechanic as per the ASE. I'm not trying to talk you into an appointment at the dealer, but I believe zero of what you are selling. And I'm done posting in this thread due to the fact that I no longer have anything decent to say. :eek:ff soapbox:

·
Registered
302 Posts
2000XJ just to clarify, there is no hate. I'm sure we could get along on another level, but I don't believe what he's saying and I certainly do not like people using their college degrees to attempt to belittle people. Glad he's dedicated enough to go to college for that long, but it gives him no right to shove it in anyone's face. Sorry we got off to a bad start bud, maybe later in another thread...

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
2000XJ: Thanks! And with the 3:55! Manual or automatic?

Muddeprived: Wellsite geologist. Examine drill cuttings, record gas from hole as mud is circulated up, and create a strip log of the formations penetrated in the 10,550' to 13,000' depths currently drilled out here [~2 1/2 miles deep].

Quinn: Pretty much stick to the speed limit. I-70 was about half 75 mph and 1/4 65mph / 1/4 55 mph on the way back from my purchase of the '01 in Denver. The road to Wyoming is twisty and hilly in parts. I'd say average 55 mph overall, some 35 and 45 mph on dirt for about 30 of the 370 mile one way trip. In fact, that's a good estimate: 370 miles divided by 7 hours = 52.8 mph. [Takes 7 1/2 hours to drive, with 1/2 hr in breaks.] I have the small gas tank [13 gallons, but can always make the 301 miles from my home to Rock Springs on a single tank, this time w/ only partial air-conditioner-run-time took 10.5 gals, thus 28.7 mpg. You betcha.
Did you say....... MUD???? :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 107 Posts