Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 6cyl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1988 XJ 4.0 is starting to smell like gasoline again. I'm noticing alot of white exhaust smoke as well. I'm getting headaches everytime I drive because the smell is pretty bad.
Any idea why that could be or where to start troubleshooting?

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
The white exhaust smoke is likely coolant being burned due to a leaking head gasket. Loosing any coolant? As for the gas smell, check your fuel lines. You might have a leak at the vent on the top also. Any check engine light for fuel sysem?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not losing any coolant. I just replaced both radiator hoses, thermostat, and housing. No check engine light.
Ok I'll check out the fuel lines, I'm not sure where those are exactly so I'll look on YouTube lol

·
Super Moderator
10,739 Posts
Check your evap system. should be a diagram on the firewall. The lines are plastic and get brittle over time. It vents the gas fumes back into the engine or to the tank. Check you filler neck. The tubes are rubber, but I have had then rust off right at the tank fitting.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my gas smell problem was solved with just a new gas cap.
Wonder if it could be that?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually read that somewhere as well and purchased a new gas cap. Still struggling with the smell. I'll have to check the evap system today

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ugh I think it's a Fuel Injector. I just had some replaced a few months ago too.

·
Super Moderator
10,739 Posts
Ok. Yeah it looks like the lower injector in the pic is the problem child. Best case scenario is a bad O ring, worse case is a cracked injector. I'm leaning toward an O ring. Which is a pretty simple fix. You just have to be very careful any time you work around gasoline. I'm thinking whoever replaced the injectors, either didn't put in new O rings or didn't clean the manifold or rail and dirt or left over rubber prevented a good seal. And it could be that the rail is loose. Maybe just needs tighten down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With my luck, that sounds about right lol. Ok so, am I going to have to disconnect the whole rail and everything to replace the o ring?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Yes, but its not that bad, just be sure to lube all the injector orings before reinstalling. Don't want to risk tearing one and having to do it all over again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So from what I've researched so far I need to disconnect battery, disconnect all injectors, depressurize the fuel rail, take off the fuel rail bolts (I'm assuming I'm going to get fuel everywhere correct?), disconnect fuel injectors, check all o-rings while I'm at it, add some vasoline to the new o-rings, and put everything back together. And there's 2 o-rings per injector correct?

·
Super Moderator
10,739 Posts
Pretty much spot on. Yes. Check for corrosion in the fuel rail where the o ring seat is. Rust can infiltrate and cause a leak. I used a scotch brite pad to clean mine out. Make sure and clean all the dirt from around the injectors. I used a can of compressed air. Works a treat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a mechanic to install all new ORings. The car is running alot smoother now. But I noticed that first fuel injector started leaking again, this time it's a very tiny leak. Could it be the ORing got messed up again or the fuel injector is bad itself?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Sounds like the mechanic need gentler hands...

·
Super Moderator
10,739 Posts
Got a mechanic to install all new ORings. The car is running alot smoother now. But I noticed that first fuel injector started leaking again, this time it's a very tiny leak. Could it be the ORing got messed up again or the fuel injector is bad itself?
Yes all of the above, and the metal rail is bad. Or wasn't cleaned well. But it's progress!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts